Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a nice set of Cobra R's for a good price, catch is they are chrome. They are also 17x9 and both sets of my current wheels are 17x8. I was primarily interested in having these for my street tired only, but they are wider and I can fit 275's on there with these. So, given that the chrome wheels are heavier, how much of an impact is this going to make? Huge, moderate? I would love some lightweight racing wheels but that isn't going to happen right now. And it looks like I missed tireracks sale of a the 18x10 WedsSports for 99 each :eek:. So will the heavier wheels kill my performance or is it an ok compromise?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would think that the gains of running 275s all the way around vs 245s would more than outweigh any potential 'losses' from (potentially) heavier wheels and tires.

But then again, what do I know...I'm an internet racer (so far) ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
For what it's worth, since I'm a n00b at this, I've been doing a ton of reading. And from what I gather, the general consenus is this:

1) If you're a n00b, seat time trumps all car modifications. Do the driver mod first. The driver has the single biggest impact on the performance of "the car".

2) After you've done lots of #1 and you think you're getting everything you can from the car, the next biggest impact mod you can do is TIRES. As in, put the biggest (widest), stickiest tires you can under the car. Since the tire is what is in contact with the road, it will have the next largest impact on performance (behind the driver mod, that is).

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well. I'm far from an expert or experienced driver, but I do alright. There isn't a lot of class participation so it makes it difficult to understand where I stand, but I do well against similar combos when I have the opportunity for comparison.

·
Registered
326 Posts
More tire to the ground is going to be better assuming they fit under the car.

I don't know the weight difference between silver and chrome Cobra R's but I doubt it's too much. The downside to chrome rims I've experienced is sticky tires tend to walk on the rim. I put a crayon alignment mark on the tire and rim. After a few track days, the tires shifted position. It's not much of a problem but I gave up on spending the money to balance the tire & rim.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ really? I didn't think there was chrome in the mounting area. I wonder what causes that to happen with your chrome wheels vs non chromed wheels

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I use 17x9 chrome bullitts on the race track with 275/40 Falken 615s and it's way better than my stock 17x8s with 245s.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
For the tire skidding on the rim thing, i've had good luck with using decent grit sand paper on the wheel mounting area/where the rubber contact is. I had this problem on my old Cobra R's and a set of V6 Mustang wheels I used with drag radails. I figured i'd "poor boy" the wheel to give it some grip and they never moved more than I guess a millimeter after that.

I had those 275/40 V710's move about 1/2 a turn after about 3 autocross. These wheels were just plain old silver.

As for the width vs. weight.....hands down go with the wider setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts