Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is a Parachute needed? Not for a certain class just in general I tried looking in the nhra rulebook but didn't see it.I heard 150mph+ but at what et?? Let me know ASAP thanks

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Yeah just 150 or faster needs a parachute.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
A year or two ago, that was bumped down to 135 mph, no longer 150, it is now 135 mph.

·
Registered
495 Posts
A year or two ago, that was bumped down to 135 mph, no longer 150, it is now 135 mph.
Your probably right but on page 103 of the 2008 NHRA rule book it still says 150, that is super pro, pro and sportsman classes. Be best to call and clarify it. Lamar

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a bunch of different answers in here.I won't need it if the 150mph rule is right but if you have to have it when you run 9.99 then I will need it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I will tell you this much. If your 9.99 or quicker or running much over 140 its not a bad idea to have it regaurdless of rule. On a track with a short shut down area 140 or more you will have your hands full getting it to stop.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
There's a bunch of different answers in here.I won't need it if the 150mph rule is right but if you have to have it when you run 9.99 then I will need it.
You will need it if your track is strict. Alot of tracks won't enforce it untill you are well into the nines. Or atleast thats been my experince.

I know there are a bunch of answers on here, thats why I included a link to the NHRA rules :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I probably won't get it for now because im not running anywhere near 150mph but I will be in the 9's but the tracks that I do go to have a decent amount of space to brake and im going to be getting strange drag brakes for the front and rear very soon so that extra $600 I would spend on a parachute/mount could hold off for now till I get a little faster.Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think chutes are one of those generaly unused safety items. I had a GT that ran mid-high 9's at 145, and it stopped fine with stock fox brakes. I had a chute (on the car when I bought it), but I never used it

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think chutes are one of those generaly unused safety items. I had a GT that ran mid-high 9's at 145, and it stopped fine with stock fox brakes. I had a chute (on the car when I bought it), but I never used it
Thats exactly what I plan on doing for now then once I have the cash im going to buy front and rear strange pro drag brakes then ill do the parachute last.

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
I've even seen some tracks enforce that you deploy the chute if going over to 150mph.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts