Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered this week I couldn't run all the negative camber I wanted due to the top hat of the coilover hitting the inside/rear most bolt. The fix is to use a spacer to move it down obviously.

I picked up a steel tube at ACE hardware and cut down the width I needed. Now, while I have a good amount of threads coming through the top of the C/C plate, I must use a small spacer there as well to keep the nut from contacting the C/C body. When I put the thinnest spacer I can there, I can get the thick nylock nut started, but when it tightens down, it is NOT into the plastic at the end of the nylock nut.

What is the general opinion on that? Would it be better to find a thinner nylock nut? The one that came with the Bilsteins is about a thick as your thumb. If I could use one 1/2 that width, i'd be in the clear.

Thanks for input/advice.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. Looks like i'll be perfectly fine with the thinner nut!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since the kit was supplied with a locking type fastener, I would probably do one of 2 things:

1.) Use a thinner lock nut (with full engagement into the nylon).
2.) Use 2 thinner non-locking nuts (the second installed as a jam-nut).

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Tony, hit the Ace hardware at Dixie Lee Junction. They usually have what I'm looking for. Of course when you read this you will have already gone to a store because you get off of work long before now. Either way that place has everything and they also have spacers you can use on your struts. I bought some for mine because I needed 1.25" worth of distance under the CC plate to the top of the coil over. They had them there.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bob. I went to Ace already....but alas, no thin nylock METRIC M16 nuts. :(

I tried this other place called FASTENAL. They could order me "something" that would work, but when I showed him what I was working with, he said some blue loctite and an impact gun would be sufficient enough. There was/is plenty of thread contact, just not where the plastic on the nut was.

So, in the end, I just loctite'd the OE nut and zapped it down.

I did get my spacers from ACE, though. ;) I probably could have gotten away with a smaller spacer under the C/C plate, but I didn't feel like cutting any more. It works.

I'm now able to go from -1.5 street setting, to -3.0 autocross/track setting. Much better than the -2.0 I was limited to Sunday. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts