Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2001 GT from a dealer and do not know who owned it before me. My buddy thinks the exhaust system on the car is an aftermarket exhaust (FLowmasters).

How can I tell from looking at the exhaust whether it is factory or aftermarket?

I intend on modifying the car and obviously the exhaust system is a likely candidate. I don't want to spend money on it if it's already got flowmasters.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
You cant tell whether the exhaust is stock or not????
Anyways, if you just want to change the mufflers, take the car to a muffler shop, or jack it up really high, and look at the mufflers. They will say FLOWMASTER on them, or any other brands' name. Also, if you have 2 cats or less on your H-pipe, or its an X-pipe, its also aftermarket.

John

·
Registered
460 Posts
Pretty much what he said. THe stock exhaust has been sounding pretty decent if you are not a Mustang guy. Your buddy might think because of the droan it is an after market.

He is right though. Just jack the car up. If alls you see is a bunch of rusted old stuff with like 6 cats on the H-pipe that is super small that is stock.

if you see some shine your car being a 2001 should have a lot of shine hopefully and less cats and a larger H-pipe/X-pipe it is aftermarket. The stock H is really small you would be able to tell by looking at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is what you exhaust will look like if it is not stock...notice only 2 cats. This is off of a 97 but you get the idea..its also for sale if anyone is interested:

:confused: Hmmm, on supraforums there is a place to attach pics, how come its not here??? How else can i attach pics from my computer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts