Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'll make this brief. I have a 90 coupe, exhaust, small cam. Basically I was having a misfire 3500/4000 ish rpm. Off the top of my head I decided to change out my Accel coil with a stock one that was on the car. It took care of the misfire. However it may just be me but the car does seem a tad bit slower. Will a better coil add any performance on an otherwise stock ignition system. And also are Accel coils known to go bad this one was less than a year old.

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
no

and I'm pretty sure there wa nothing wrong with your coil

if you think there was, test it

wouldn't testing it make more sense?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I didn't know you could test them or even the procedure. I just tried it because it was right there.

If it wasn't the coil I dunno what it could have been that the only thing I changed. I will however look up the test procedure and do it that way.

The car has fairly new plugs "auto lite" and bluestreak wires that are less than a year old.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I tested the coil for resistance today and it was good. So maybe the misfire is still there it's just barely noticeable with the stock coil. Unfortunately it'll be a little while before I find out. My fan clutch went bad and I'm gonna just wait and go electric so I won't be driving the car until then.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Maybe, and I'm just spitballin' here, but the extra power from the Accel coil is causing a spark to be shorting somewhere. I remember when I went to MSD's new wires and I had a miss, I opened the hood in the dark and watched the lightening show. The spark was literally jumping from the middle of the wire to a nearby bracket.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havnt looked at it at night but once I get the electric fans I talked I'll reinstall it and check at night and see if I noise anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts