Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have the chance to buy a 03 Mach 1. It runs but it has knocking. The body is probably a 8/10 only has clear coat peeling. The interior is also very nice just normal wear. Has close too 100k miles and I talked him down too 3200. Is the car worth it. Is fixing the engine gonna be way to much. My father can do most of the work, and also have a friend that’s a ford mechanic that will do work for much cheaper.

Also curious I was looking for after market cylinder heads and intake, but I couldn’t find them. I’ve only had 94 and 95 mustangs. So I didn’t know if trick flow or ford racing made those products.

I figured if I have to pull the engine that I would swap the heads, Intake, and cams, along with replacing all the bearings and gaskets.

I’m just shooting for around 400hp at the crank. I was hoping with heads, intake, cam, headers, and the rest of the bolt on stuff it might be achieved.

This hopefully will be my first 4.6 mustang. My last one was 95 gt that I built with a 331 stroker. Had to sell it when we bought a house, now it’s time to get another and would like any input I could get.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bring a diagnostic scanner and see what codes it is throwing. Maybe the seller isnt mechanical and its something basic like a coil, bad plug etc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a good idea but what if it something simple then he would want more money or keep it lol. But is the car worth the 3200 even if I have to do engine work.

·
Registered
219 Posts
03 mach 1

In my opinion that is really not a bad price for the car and all that it came with. There's also quite a few people looking for those bodies to do a coyote swap...What color is the Mach 1? If i saw one here for that price i'd buy it. Also because of the coyoto swap thing going on now, lots of 2v and 4v motors/parts seems to be coming up for sale.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you need parts, this guy most likely has them. He's expensive but he will have what you can;t find at a conventional parts store.

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com
Thanks I’ll check it out. My buddy just gave me like 6 boxes of parts from his 04 Mach 1 he totaled last year. Fuel injectors and rails, cold air, lowering springs, drive shaft, cams, his tuner and a bunch of other stuff. I told him I haven’t got the car yet. He told me if I don’t do what I want with the parts.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks I’ll check it out. My buddy just gave me like 6 boxes of parts from his 04 Mach 1 he totaled last year. Fuel injectors and rails, cold air, lowering springs, drive shaft, cams, his tuner and a bunch of other stuff. I told him I haven’t got the car yet. He told me if I don’t do what I want with the parts.
Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress if you decide to pull the trigger on the car.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Hello,
I have the chance to buy a 03 Mach 1. It runs but it has knocking. The body is probably a 8/10 only has clear coat peeling. The interior is also very nice just normal wear. Has close too 100k miles and I talked him down too 3200. Is the car worth it. Is fixing the engine gonna be way to much. My father can do most of the work, and also have a friend that’s a ford mechanic that will do work for much cheaper.

Also curious I was looking for after market cylinder heads and intake, but I couldn’t find them. I’ve only had 94 and 95 mustangs. So I didn’t know if trick flow or ford racing made those products.

I figured if I have to pull the engine that I would swap the heads, Intake, and cams, along with replacing all the bearings and gaskets.

I’m just shooting for around 400hp at the crank. I was hoping with heads, intake, cam, headers, and the rest of the bolt on stuff it might be achieved.

This hopefully will be my first 4.6 mustang. My last one was 95 gt that I built with a 331 stroker. Had to sell it when we bought a house, now it’s time to get another and would like any input I could get.
I'd pass. By the time you rebuild the engine you could buy one with that mileage for the price you'd pay to do it especially for a shop. If not a Mach then for sure a 96-98 or 99/01 Cobra or for a real nice 2V that already runs. If it was lower miles and in better condition then maybe.

If you are dead set on it I'll answer the questions.

1 - Aftermarket heads - They don't exist because they are pointless. The stock 4V heads flow a ton from the factory. This is not like a 94/95 car where the E7 heads were hot garbage and the GT40s were just middle of the road.

2 - Swapping heads/cams/intake is also pointless. The only aftermarket intakes are sheetmetal intakes or modified stockers (short runner) or the intakes on supercharger kits. Cams can get you some gains but they are $1400 or so plus the degree kit. Again, not like the 302 pushrods, these 4V engines had really good stuff right out of the box that don't exactly need upgrading.

3 - All those parts your buddy gave you would just be spares minus the suspension stuff but that all depends what you want to do.

Again, I'd really STRONGLY suggest you buy a running car in good shape and learn the 4.6L first. Most of the car is very similar to a 94/95 as far as like... suspension/nuts/bolts but a lot of stuff is different drivetrain and electronics wise.

And if you are SUPER dead set on getting this car... just swap in a 03-05 (preferably 05) Aviator engine. Its a direct swap. Just changeover the Mustang front cover/accessories and intake plus any other Mustang specific parts and go. The only real difference is the cast crank in the Aviator vs forged in manual Machs but that is a non factor. The cast cranks are plenty strong and lighter than the forged ones.

But one last time... even with that swap...

$3200 for this car
$1000-$1500 for a real good Aviator engine
$1000-$3000 for mods/fixes you didn't know about
$2-$4k for paint

That is assuming you do all the work. $6k will buy you a real nice 96-98 Cobra or 96-04 GT. $10k is almost at high mileage Terminator money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd pass. By the time you rebuild the engine you could buy one with that mileage for the price you'd pay to do it especially for a shop. If not a Mach then for sure a 96-98 or 99/01 Cobra or for a real nice 2V that already runs. If it was lower miles and in better condition then maybe.

If you are dead set on it I'll answer the questions.

1 - Aftermarket heads - They don't exist because they are pointless. The stock 4V heads flow a ton from the factory. This is not like a 94/95 car where the E7 heads were hot garbage and the GT40s were just middle of the road.

2 - Swapping heads/cams/intake is also pointless. The only aftermarket intakes are sheetmetal intakes or modified stockers (short runner) or the intakes on supercharger kits. Cams can get you some gains but they are $1400 or so plus the degree kit. Again, not like the 302 pushrods, these 4V engines had really good stuff right out of the box that don't exactly need upgrading.

3 - All those parts your buddy gave you would just be spares minus the suspension stuff but that all depends what you want to do.

Again, I'd really STRONGLY suggest you buy a running car in good shape and learn the 4.6L first. Most of the car is very similar to a 94/95 as far as like... suspension/nuts/bolts but a lot of stuff is different drivetrain and electronics wise.

And if you are SUPER dead set on getting this car... just swap in a 03-05 (preferably 05) Aviator engine. Its a direct swap. Just changeover the Mustang front cover/accessories and intake plus any other Mustang specific parts and go. The only real difference is the cast crank in the Aviator vs forged in manual Machs but that is a non factor. The cast cranks are plenty strong and lighter than the forged ones.

But one last time... even with that swap...

$3200 for this car
$1000-$1500 for a real good Aviator engine
$1000-$3000 for mods/fixes you didn't know about
$2-$4k for paint

That is assuming you do all the work. $6k will buy you a real nice 96-98 Cobra or 96-04 GT. $10k is almost at high mileage Terminator money.
I really don’t want anything other then a 99-04. My dad actually has a aviator with a bad transmission, instead of fixing he bought a new truck. I didn’t know that about the aviator.

I only have so much to spend right now. I’ve been looking for months and every gt I’ve went and looked at turned out to be crap, they were lying about most things.

I’m not against getting a gt but I’m not paying 6000 for a almost 20 year old car that’s basically stock. Around here people are asking way to much for them. One guy has a 04 gt with 65k miles bone stock and wants 14 for it. Another 03 gt has damn near 300k miles and also stock wants 5500 for it.

The entire purpose of me getting a mustang was to fix it up over time. I was gonna buy a wrecked gt until I found this Mach 1. But I wanted a car that I could do a little bit to year after year an eventually have exactly what I wanted in a mustang.

As for the parts he gave me some are stock but a lot of them are the mods he bought and took off after he totaled the car. The cams are comp cams. I’ll actually have to look to see if they are the stock ones or if they are the after market ones he got. I know he stripped the engine down after the accident.

And thank you very much for answering the questions about the heads and intake. I really do appreciate that.

The reason for the cam upgrade is I grew up with a dad heavy into mopar, he has a 72 cuda blown. I love the cam lope and if that’s not possible with the mod engine then I’ll skip that.

But back on track lol, eventually I want to build the engine and put a supercharger on it. My end goal for completion is 5 years. That is the goal I am shooting for.

For some odd strange reason I really like the Mach 1 and really like the interior. But my dad is going with me and if he says no, my wife won’t let me get it.

As for the work on the car almost all the engine work will be done by my dad. The paint I won’t touch, tried before and it was terrible.

But who knows I look every day at mustangs for sale and I might find one before next weekend and decide on that.

I got him down to 2500 plus I’m trading one of my Kimber 1911s to him.

Sorry bout the long post and again thank you very much for your input. I do have a lot to learn about the mod engines.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really don’t want anything other then a 99-04. My dad actually has a aviator with a bad transmission, instead of fixing he bought a new truck. I didn’t know that about the aviator.

I only have so much to spend right now. I’ve been looking for months and every gt I’ve went and looked at turned out to be crap, they were lying about most things.

I’m not against getting a gt but I’m not paying 6000 for a almost 20 year old car that’s basically stock. Around here people are asking way to much for them. One guy has a 04 gt with 65k miles bone stock and wants 14 for it. Another 03 gt has damn near 300k miles and also stock wants 5500 for it.

The entire purpose of me getting a mustang was to fix it up over time. I was gonna buy a wrecked gt until I found this Mach 1. But I wanted a car that I could do a little bit to year after year an eventually have exactly what I wanted in a mustang.

As for the parts he gave me some are stock but a lot of them are the mods he bought and took off after he totaled the car. The cams are comp cams. I’ll actually have to look to see if they are the stock ones or if they are the after market ones he got. I know he stripped the engine down after the accident.

And thank you very much for answering the questions about the heads and intake. I really do appreciate that.

The reason for the cam upgrade is I grew up with a dad heavy into mopar, he has a 72 cuda blown. I love the cam lope and if that’s not possible with the mod engine then I’ll skip that.

But back on track lol, eventually I want to build the engine and put a supercharger on it. My end goal for completion is 5 years. That is the goal I am shooting for.

For some odd strange reason I really like the Mach 1 and really like the interior. But my dad is going with me and if he says no, my wife won’t let me get it.

As for the work on the car almost all the engine work will be done by my dad. The paint I won’t touch, tried before and it was terrible.

But who knows I look every day at mustangs for sale and I might find one before next weekend and decide on that.

I got him down to 2500 plus I’m trading one of my Kimber 1911s to him.

Sorry bout the long post and again thank you very much for your input. I do have a lot to learn about the mod engines.
So with the Aviator in the yard and an even lower price , plus trading a gun that's laying around it seems to be a deal you cant pass up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So with the Aviator in the yard and an even lower price , plus trading a gun that's laying around it seems to be a deal you cant pass up.

That’s if my dad would even let me get the motor from him. My younger sister just turned 16 and I’m guessing she’s going to get it. I guess I could buy a junker for her lol.

It now all depends on if this guy has been truthful. He says he hasn’t drove it since the knocking started but really how many people are being fully truthful when trying to sell a car and not lose their shirt on it.

Is the 4v that much better then the 2v or is it about the same block with different heads.

Regardless of if I get the Mach 1 or end up with a gt I figured it would be a better idea to get another engine or block eventually and put it on the stand and build it so I could still drive whatever I get.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Can’t tell if sarcastic or you think I’m full of poopy which is completely ok.

But here are some photos. The pic is my brothers and sisters at my house few falls ago. I’m 30 years older then my youngest brother. You can see the aviator sitting in my driveway.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can’t tell if sarcastic or you think I’m full of poopy which is completely ok.

But here are some photos. The pic is my brothers and sisters at my house few falls ago. I’m 30 years older then my youngest brother. You can see the aviator sitting in my driveway.
There was no sarcasm there at all. You have been looking a long time and it seems like just the deal for you. Pull the trigger. .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There was no sarcasm there at all. You have been looking a long time and it seems like just the deal for you. Pull the trigger. .

Thanks for clarifying, but even if you were I’d be ok with it because if someone said they just happened to have access to the exact engine needed, I’d think they were full of poop.

But I was wrong on the Mach 1, it is not knocking it’s a slight tick. With these engines no idea what it could be, it’s all new to me. He told me it would cost 500 to fix. If he says 500 I’m guessing closer to a grand lol.

But I told him I would take it and now I’m trying to get my uncles trailer and have my dad pull it. I can’t drive with a trailer for #### and it’s a 3 hr drive to get it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tick could be the heads=head replacement=$$$
True but I would think a tick is better then a knock.

Also the trailer I was gonna use got stolen in the middle of the night last night. Now I’m scrambling to find a way to get it home. Could up my AAA memebership and then have them do it for free but that would seem suspicious though. A car transport quoted me 600.

Does anyone know if normal tow truck companies haul cars. It’s 138 miles away, I could drive it home but not going to risk any further damage. Going to bring it home and take it right to the ford dealership to run full diagnostics on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
U haul rents car trailers for 60 bucks a day .
I have a Ford Explorer and u haul won’t rent me one and my wife has a Jeep, neither are really capable of pulling it safely.

I should clarify that because I have a explorer u haul will not, they have a policy against it.

Edit- problem solved I upgraded my AAA road side membership to premier and now I can get 1 tow up to 200 miles for free and 3 other tows at 100 miles.

Going to bring her home Thursday.

Question my buddy gave me his tuner off his Mach 1. Can I use that on mine. Obviously his tunes won’t work but can I go to their website and get new ones.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
As long as he unmarries the tuner then yes.

Bring it home, get a good replacement engine and then swap the engine and drive it a bit before you do anything else. Don't go spend a much of money on #### before you know everything else is good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts