Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I'm planning a "simple" rebuild of my '65 289, using the crank, rods, and pistons for a 302 (plus AFR alum. heads, roller cam,etc.). Am going this route because of the advantages of a little more torque from the increased cid and stroke, and the fact that these parts for a 302 are easier to find and much less expensive than for a 289. I don't want to go full-out with a 331 or 347 job, as I want to keep a pretty much short-stoke engine. At first this seemed to be a rather straightforward option, but lately I've been coming across all kinds of conflicting and worrisome info about potential problems with piston instability at BDC,etc. with a 289 block/302 crank.

What's the truth on this? I can't seem to find any reliable info. Please advise, as I would like to start ordering parts and getting on with the project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should have no problems. Ford used 302 Cranks and rods in 289 engine blocks in 1968 when the new 302 was introduced. They used up the existing supply of blocks, heads and accessory left over from the 1967 289 parts bins.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Should be no problem. Just make sure you are not using the newer 302 crank that uses the one peace rear seal and the 289 block that has a two peace rear seal.Early model 302 cranks used a two peace rear main seal.Roger

·
Registered
59 Posts
289 and 302 pistons are exactly the same. The difference is made up with the slightly different connecting rod lengths of the two engines.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Also do a little research on the cam and lifters.The 289 came with flat tappets. The roller cam from the newer 302 is different that the 289. I think you will need a retro roller cam kit. The major cam guys have kits that are made to convert the older 302 and 289's ,351's to a roller set up. It will come with the cam,lifters and spider to hold the lifters in the block.Quit a while back I had a 1969 351 Windsor that I wanted to put a roller cam in it and I was told that I would have to get the complete kit to install a roller in it. From what I remember it was not cheap.I ended up going with solid flat tappet and a cam made for it.Roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts