Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my newest goal...10's. I want to get into the 10's with the current set up I am running. You can see my sig for Info. I am seeing what other tips or pointers I could do to achieve the goal of getting into the 10's. I have done many tricks and short-cuts already but if you have one, please do share, even if it is as simple as tire pressure.... any questions...ask away. I do have a video up here of my 11.24 pass. I could repost it if some would like. Thanks to everyone...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Need some more detail about the car regarding the heads, carb size, intake, tires, gears, timing, launch RPM, shift RPM, and RPM through the traps.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RPM performerheads, holly 750, dual plane intake, 26 X 10 slicks, 4:10's, 5000 launch, 6400 shift, and traps right at 6400.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Appears that you can definitely drive / shift the car well by the numbers. I would suggest dropping additional weight (if you can), advancing the timing more (if possible), and launching at 5500. Over two tenths is a lot to shave off at this point. Might need to put a slightly more agressive cam in and advance the shift points to gain some mid range. At 122 MPH, your setup obviously has the top end and a 1.53 short time is damn respectful too. Any interest in running a plate or are you determined to go 10.99 naturally aspirated?

·
Registered
324 Posts
What brakes are on the car? they usually say aftermarket light weight brakes shave off 2 tenths.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Remove the hood?

I assume you're power-shifting...

Raise the front air pressure to maximum. Find smaller, lighter front tires.

I don't know if people do this, but maybe get an alignment and remove toe (less rolling resistance).

Does the car lift the front wheels a lot? If so, maybe reducing this will turn the energy into forward motion instead of lifting the front wheels.

Do you have a dyno graph? Maybe you could optimize the shift points so that you are applying the highest average HP.

Are you using stiff side-wall slicks? This might help transfer the energy better.

Run less oil, windage tray, less oil in transmission and rear.

I saw your thread about removing the accessory belt. This could pick up a little but you aren't turning many accessories anyway.

Run open headers?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appears that you can definitely drive / shift the car well by the numbers. I would suggest dropping additional weight (if you can), advancing the timing more (if possible), and launching at 5500. Over two tenths is a lot to shave off at this point. Might need to put a slightly more agressive cam in and advance the shift points to gain some mid range. At 122 MPH, your setup obviously has the top end and a 1.53 short time is damn respectful too. Any interest in running a plate or are you determined to go 10.99 naturally aspirated?
Thankyou. The car is already at 2480. I could play with the timing some more. A cam swap is a possiblility. I would rather not crack that block open and change a cam. I would like to hit the 10's in a N/A car. Good tips...Thanks!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What brakes are on the car? they usually say aftermarket light weight brakes shave off 2 tenths.
Completely stock 4 cylinder brakes. I would Love to change them out.. but $$$.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Are you running jet extensions in the carb? If not I would try them, theres just that slight bog in the 60ft. If you are running extensions, try upping the launch RPM a tad.

My buddy had a car that went 11.0 at 122 with a heavier car, so you should be able to get at least there under ideal conditions. Maybe drain the tank at the track, put some race gas in it and up the timing a bit?

I also noticed the shift was a TAD slow on 2-3, but overall I think you have a pretty hefty goal to shave .2 at this point, that thing is about dialed in lol. Congrats on a bad ass car to this point though

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3rd is going out on it. I am trying to not powershift that gear too much to try and make this t5 last.
Thats all I had was the 10 holes.. lol

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Very nice! You have a great combination there and I wouldn't touch the motor. You have the mph for 10s, and after looking at the video, I see two places for improvement. The clutch needs attention. On the launch it's pulling the rpm way down out of your powerband. The other is the shifts. The 2-3 shift is particularly "slow". Good luck and keep at it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you running jet extensions in the carb? If not I would try them, theres just that slight bog in the 60ft. If you are running extensions, try upping the launch RPM a tad.

My buddy had a car that went 11.0 at 122 with a heavier car, so you should be able to get at least there under ideal conditions. Maybe drain the tank at the track, put some race gas in it and up the timing a bit?

I also noticed the shift was a TAD slow on 2-3, but overall I think you have a pretty hefty goal to shave .2 at this point, that thing is about dialed in lol. Congrats on a bad ass car to this point though
Thanks... No jet extensions. I could launch it higher. As far as fuel goes, I run 111 in it right now. However I did change my front tires from euro 165's to MT's sportsman fronts. Haven't ran it since that change.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice! You have a great combination there and I wouldn't touch the motor. You have the mph for 10s, and after looking at the video, I see two places for improvement. The clutch needs attention. On the launch it's pulling the rpm way down out of your powerband. The other is the shifts. The 2-3 shift is particularly "slow". Good luck and keep at it.
Thankyou! Yes, the clutch indeed. I have made another adjustment on the clutch and will continue to monitor it. I guess from the responses from the crowd, I will have to bang 3rd gear. If I want the 10's, I suppose I will have to treat that gear like every other one. If it blows..I will rebuild. Thanks....

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
actually 10 holes weight about the same as my 15/8 welds. I wieght them one time.. If there is a difference it is maybe a pound. Unless my scale is off. Nice driven! What kind of cam is that? Sounds familar, kinda like a anderson cam.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts