Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys its a little late now but sometime in the future I was wondering if there was a way to vent my wastegate back through the exhaust? I dont like hearing the pssssssssssssss the entire time im in boost, sounds like an exhaust leak. Anyway to make the wastegate quiet?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I don't have turbo yet, few more weeks Yayy. But yeah I hate wastegate pssssssssssssss venting . I love turbo whistle when it's making boost.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking it would only vent right before gear changes, like a short burst. But im finding out it sounds like a huge exhaust leak.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I was thinking it would only vent right before gear changes, like a short burst. But im finding out it sounds like a huge exhaust leak.
well it is a 44mm exhaust leak lol

you can either plumb it back into the downpipe or put a small lawnmower type muffler on the gate.

IF you run a boost controller it will hold the gate closed until full boost , atleast that way you only hear it when WOT/full boost.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
the boost controller wont do anythign becuase the spring wont open until the full boost of the spring is reched anyway unless he is boosting more then the spring in wich he wil already have a controller

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Guys its a little late now but sometime in the future I was wondering if there was a way to vent my wastegate back through the exhaust? I dont like hearing the pssssssssssssss the entire time im in boost, sounds like an exhaust leak. Anyway to make the wastegate quiet?

LOL and people wonder why I took the mufflers off my car. Now my turbo is the loudest thing on the car and I love it that way.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
the boost controller wont do anythign becuase the spring wont open until the full boost of the spring is reched anyway unless he is boosting more then the spring in wich he wil already have a controller
NOT true !! the gate WILL open before full boost. thats the noise thats driving him nutts lol

some gates are better then others but most atleast crack open before reaching full spring pressure. Thats why controllers say thay help spool time.

My gate opened before full boost so I put a controller on it and gaind a much sooner spool with NO raise in boost pressure lol. basicly the controller is set to the spring pressure, same full boost but I get it atleast 300-400 rpm sooner

I used regulated air and at under the 8 psi spring pressure my gate would pop open just a bit. not like full open but it opened enough to slow down spool time and IF the gate was vented to the air it would be open enough to be able to hear it.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Figure out a way to route it into the downpipe or put a small ass muffler on it. I never have understood how people can tolerate that sound, it drives me nuts and why I would never buy a kit designed to just vent it to atmosphere.
I know what ya mean !! that was the main reason I went with the headers I did.

who sells a kit or header/downpipe combos with them plumbed back in anymore??? it seems B&G,QT,PD and all of them have went to just venting them.. mine dont but but its the famous treadstone/vecco thing and would like something without cracking issues but dont seem to see ANY that dont vent to open air anymore..

any suggestions whrere to look?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Just make up a small muffler. I did that and you an not hear the WG anymore.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
You can buy mufflers that small, do not have to make one unless you are just adventurous
Please post up a link for these mufflers. It would have been nice to just buy them.

·
4,305 Posts
I do not have a link handy, I know someone out in Florida that bought them a couple years ago for his twin turbo car. So I know they exist but not sure exactly where to buy them. They are not something sold specifically for wastegates but I would think a little time with Google and they could be found.

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I wish I can post pictures here but I can't. Send me your email and I'll send you some pictures.

I looked for a muffler for the WG also. The only one that I found that I thought would work well is the Cherry Bomb one and it was way to big. That's why I made my own. All the other mufflers are to small and seem to blow out. That's why I made my own straight through muffler. They really aren't hard to make. ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well I have spent over an hour and came up with pretty much squat.

This is what I found others to be using, $15 at pep boys etc. cherry bomb glasspack 1 3/4 to 2" round

Ultra flow round part no. 17223 and 17229.

part no. su344-1705

I have looked for these part numbers and searched many stores and found nothing. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

But I did find a co. called Vibrant. They have them but no pictures. Guess they want you to call them. I will try and post a link sorry if it does not work.

http://www.etdracing.com/vibrantparts.html

http://www.etdracing.com/products.html

http://www.sportcompactwarehouse.com/exhaust/exhaust_fabrication_components/c-10153.aspx

1 - 20 of 34 Posts