Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently run 40° of timing on pump gas (93 octane). Track elevation is est. 15ft above sea level. I was going to wait until the end of the season and switch to race gas (110 octane) and add say 5° of timing.

Would this get me in the 10.9-11.0 range? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Why are you running 40 deg. of timing?Usually 34-36 is all thats needed with a SBF.And with about 9.5:1 compression, race gas will actually make less power.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran 35° and unhooked the secondaries to slow the car down when I was flagged for running too fast without a bar. That was worth 3 tenths or so if I remember correctly.

Haven't tried less than 39-40 degrees. I'll pull 5 degrees out for next week and post the results.

I figure going from 64cc to 58cc heads may be worth close to a point of compression from the factory 9.0:1 -- so I thought high test fuel wouldn't do a thing. That's why I asked.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never seen a sbf use 40* of timing,unless there is a tining issue or something!
And I've had a dozen or so tell me they haven't seen a stock shortblock 5.0L with little 165's go as fast as mine is going, either? :shakehead

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
try changing about 2deg at a time if you can, a 5deg change is a lot and you could jump right over the sweet spot
We have a test and tune on the 16th of September. I'll try all the timing adjustments then. Otherwise, the car has been running perfect with the current setup.

·
Registered
201 Posts
And I've had a dozen or so tell me they haven't seen a stock shortblock 5.0L with little 165's go as fast as mine is going, either? :shakehead
I'm not busting your balls but if the tuneup is rich than the extra timing you have is covering that up.That 750hp is on the big side for a 302,what jetting is in the carb?and what is the hsab that is in it?I run a 750hp on my 357 and it was 10 jet sizes to rich out of the box!just something to think about!oh and I have seen a combo like your run quicker than you so I can believe you on the et

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not busting your balls but if the tuneup is rich than the extra timing you have is covering that up.That 750hp is on the big side for a 302,what jetting is in the carb?and what is the hsab that is in it?I run a 750hp on my 357 and it was 10 jet sizes to rich out of the box!just something to think about!oh and I have seen a combo like your run quicker than you so I can believe you on the et
It currently has 80 jets, squared up & jet extensions. If I remember correctly, it was 70s and 80s from Holley.

It IS a lot of carb for a stock compression 302, but it works well for the combo. I don't get any stumble or feedback from it at all, and the car is bracket raced each and every weekend.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It currently has 80 jets, squared up & jet extensions. If I remember correctly, it was 70s and 80s from Holley.

It IS a lot of carb for a stock compression 302, but it works well for the combo. I don't get any stumble or feedback from it at all, and the car is bracket raced each and every weekend.
I run 77 squared in my hp and that for e85!your carb is to fat and thats why you have so much timing in it.pull some fuel out of it and back the timing down.It will be easier on the motor and you won't use so much fuel.I would love to see a picture of a plug after a pass.Unless you are spinning it to 8500 you have to much jet in it.What you have works,it may work better if you tune up that carb.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what's your car weigh with you in it ready to race?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I run 77 squared in my hp and that for e85!your carb is to fat and thats why you have so much timing in it.pull some fuel out of it and back the timing down.It will be easier on the motor and you won't use so much fuel.I would love to see a picture of a plug after a pass.Unless you are spinning it to 8500 you have to much jet in it.What you have works,it may work better if you tune up that carb.

I've been shifting at 6700 and going through at 6700. I'll have to hit a T&T night to work with the tuning, between carb jets and timing adjustments. Otherwise, the combo works great for now. (It's a bracket car, dude) I really do not think I am fouling any plugs, but I'll pull some just for you. :rofl:

Note: I inquired about switching to race gas to shave off some ET for the end of the season, when the air is better. But, if you think I am missing out on some HP with the current tune, I'll make some changes on the pump gas and see what happens. If it goes lean and the shortblock comes apart, I blame you. :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been shifting at 6700 and going through at 6700. I'll have to hit a T&T night to work with the tuning, between carb jets and timing adjustments. Otherwise, the combo works great for now. (It's a bracket car, dude) I really do not think I am fouling any plugs, but I'll pull some just for you. :rofl:

Note: I inquired about switching to race gas to shave off some ET for the end of the season, when the air is better. But, if you think I am missing out on some HP with the current tune, I'll make some changes on the pump gas and see what happens. If it goes lean and the shortblock comes apart, I blame you. :lol:
don't do it just for me,but if i as tuning your car I would pull the timing down to 34* and jet it down to 72-74 and see how it reacts.then experiment with bumping the timing 1-2*.just trying to help ya out a little.

·
Registered
457 Posts
don't do it just for me,but if i as tuning your car I would pull the timing down to 34* and jet it down to 72-74 and see how it reacts.then experiment with bumping the timing 1-2*.just trying to help ya out a little.
Personally I would never pull that much jet out to test. Thats a huge change from 80's squared. IMO, Id go to the 34-35 degress and run 78 or 77 squared and see where that takes you. If you pick up take 2 more sizes out.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thats quite a lot of timing, maybe your running on the very rich side of a tune requiring the extra timing advance?[/QUOTE

First of all congrats on running good numbers with your combo.:king:

I gotta say the quote above is what I was thinking though.

Just an opinion...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thats quite a lot of timing, maybe your running on the very rich side of a tune requiring the extra timing advance?[/QUOTE

First of all congrats on running good numbers, I gotta say the quote above is what I was thinking though.
Thanks, havent updated mine but its gone [email protected] now. :p

Still cant get over the pull 6-8 jet sizes though. :eeek:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well, as we all know, a dyno with a WB 02 would answer all questions.

Just mess with the tune both directions and you will see. (obviously you know that)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts