Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Yeah I see it all the time, in a lot of different industries. "I have been doing it this way for 45 years".....and they ain't changin' either.

-or-

If it was a chevy, it would work....I ain't done too many Ford's.

If you're at a machine shop needing work on a ford, and you hear this, pack your stuff back in the truck and go somewhere else.

Case in point. Local guy, well known actually. My friend asked me to screw together a 514 for him, and I didn't have time though looking back I should have made time. Anyway, he takes it to this local favorite shop and has him machine it and throw it together for him. Gets it back, installs it in the car, takes it to the track and of course I'm there with my lowly small block with 100+ cubic inches less displacement and off the shelf heads and camshaft and intake. Nothing fancy. Anyway I wanted to see this thing start & run, so I headed down to his pit area & helped unload & prep. He hops in, hits the starter, fires right off...first thing I notice, it doesn't sound quite like a 514 should. Sounded retarded. But the owner (my friend) says so-and-so built it, so it's right. Ok, I thought it might be a good idea to check the timing anyway just so he doesn't burn it up, and he agreed to check it. Balancer is installed backwards on the end of the crankshaft. He argues and says nope that is the way it's supposed to go. Of course the "builder" installed it that way and "test ran it" at the shop to verify timing. You can't get the timing right if the damper is installed backwards. No way, no how. I tried to convince my friend that it was in fact backwards but he's dead set on the machinest's work being correct. Ok, go run it. In a 2800 lb Falcon, it ran 11.01 in the 1/8 mile at like 68 mph. Sounded REAL sluggish. Of course my friend is happy because it is faster than the little 289 that was in it. I KNOW that it's dead wrong and leaves a TON of ET/MPH on the table, and that's where I left it-on the table. A YEAR later, springtime first race of the season, he shows up with a beautiful 1970 Cougar Eliminator that he had been working on, with the 514 in it. The cougar was a lot heavier than the Falcon so we all knew it was gonna be sluggish unless changes were made. We ran first round of time trials and I buried him, embarassing actually. Problem is, I had zero oil pressure just before the finish line, so I clicked it off and towed it back. Oil pump locked, I'm done for the day. He says hop in the cougar and I'll race your truck (lightning). Ok. He hops in the truck & heads for the staging lanes, I'm still in the pit area waiting for the call for my class (footbrake). Hmmm....I grabbed a 1/2" wrench and cranked the distributor as far as I could, kept turning the key until it cranked over hard, then backed it off a little. No light, the balancer on backwards wouldn't be accurate anyway. Got the call, headed to the lanes and eventually ran a 6.62/110. Owner wanted to know what I did and I told him. Point being, just because a machine shop is well known and well respected doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes....or in some cases (like that one) know what on earth he's doing with a "different" brand. Yeah I'm guilty too....bring me a Mahindra tractor, and I'll tell you real quick to load it back up & go elsewhere because I don't know nothing about no Mahindra (nor do I want to). But I can fix a Deere or Kubota without too much trouble.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Local shops that are supposed to be the best. LOL

Friend of my brothers went to a local "guru" for his BBC. Blown 454. Dyno tested with print out. Paid a truckload of money.

He brings it home and puts it in his car and fired it up. Instantly shut it down. Zero oil pressure. Not low, no oil pressure. Check everything. Still nothing.

Pulls it out of the car. Checks more stuff to no avail. Flips it over and pulls the pan. There's the problem. Duct tape over the oil pick up.

This dyno'd blown 454 BBC had duct tape covering the oil pickup. Unbelievable. But people think the guy is a Chevy God.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My 302 build is my first attempt at building a nice motor for my car. At first I noticed that the Piston top arrows were pointing various directions on each side. ( 1 to the front, 3 to the rear, 2 & 2 on the other side.) So I was a little concerned. I pulled it apart and the rods were backwards on 5 of the pistons. Thrust on the crank was a little too tight. Without watching the SBF building videos, I wouldn’t have noticed half of the stuff wrong, or known how to fix it right. My build isn’t earth shattering, brutally simple really. It’s all stock spec Ford stuff, nothing crazy aftermarket. Something the local shop said they've ‘done a thousand times.’ Makes me cringe to think how many they’ve redone incorrectly! I would have been out a chunk of change for these stupid rookie mistakes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's this cam in my stock short block, ootb 11r 190 heads and .041gasket. I installed it on a 110 intake center line per the cam card. It has right at .090 clearance on the intake.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts