Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We installed it yesterday, it fits on my B&G kit with a couple of tweaks. The compressor outlet is 3.5 inches OD so we needed a new transition silicone to connect the cold side. The second is the cold side pipe itself. It barely made it with the PT8847 because my car originally had a PT78. We are cutting about 1 inch out of the long part that crosses the car so it will line up right with the massive compressor housing.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Will it have back problems? The Exhaust is it 3 or 3 and a half inches? I have a 78mm on a 360ci and at 20psi i am having backpressure issues

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had issues with my 78 on my 347 also. I over spun it and destroyed it.

The turbine wheels and housings on these turbos are way bigger then a 78.

I have a 3.5 inch down pipe.

The 91 should reduce back pressure vs the 8847 because it has a more efficient turbine wheel.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Any comparison pics while in the car?

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, will post later today

·
Registered
520 Posts
That's a big bitch!
SICK.
Can't wait to see what it put down on the Dyno and the track

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

All done. Would have been at the track today but I am still sick. Next week.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Man I saw your write up last month that was really awesome! Now you're getting an even bigger turbo? How is that monster gonna affect your tune? Don't you think at this point you should step up to a t-6 flange? I mean if you wanna do it with the t-4 that'll be wicked but I would think you could find even more power with the bigger hotside. Just thinking out loud. Looks killer though man can't wait to see what numbers you throw out with this combo!

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man I saw your write up last month that was really awesome! Now you're getting an even bigger turbo? How is that monster gonna affect your tune? Don't you think at this point you should step up to a t-6 flange? I mean if you wanna do it with the t-4 that'll be wicked but I would think you could find even more power with the bigger hotside. Just thinking out loud. Looks killer though man can't wait to see what numbers you throw out with this combo!
Thanks, was great to be in the magazine.

I really don't want to re-engineer everything under the hood for a T6 based turbo. The setup works really well the way it is. With the 347 I don't think I have a major back pressure problem right now but haven't checked either.

The tune will likely need more fuel which we can adjust at the track using the wideband. I don't necessarily plan on going to the dyno. Should be a small incremental difference between the turbos.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drive the car around and tested it on the brake. While cruising it takes more throttle to get it into boost but once you are there it comes on fast and hard.

Bumping off the foot brake into transbrake it comes right into boost. Seems like it should be fine racing.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kind of power will it make?
Check that back pressure.
It made about 1000 rwhp with the 88. I am hoping with the 91 that I pick up some power. Normally 165 mph, best of 166.75.

Back pressure wasn't killing me with the 88, it should be equal or better with the 91 given that it has a more efficient turbine wheel in it.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T6 is over rated.
For my situation I agree.

The amount of work to get it to fit and be reliable for the street driving isn't what I want to get into. It would basically be an entire new turbo kit besides the intercooler and one cold side pipe.

With where I am now, banging up against the 8.50 limit, this was the logical step (or a GT50 w/ T4 conversion) and it took only buying and selling a turbo, getting one silicone and welding one pipe.

So, where is the upside with trying a t6 turbo?

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a powerglide and a converter from Lenny at UCC. It is somewhat loose to get the thing out of the hole at the track.

We cruise around on the street regularly when the weather is good. I live a couple miles from the beach, great place to cruise around during the summer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts