Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
opinions? fun street car, stock motor for now, would like to use them when i build my 331. 93 vert mounts move the motor lower? prothane i wouldnt mind either, but some say they dont install right. the prothane ones would be coming from maximum. wheres a good place to get the vert ones, rock auto, advance? they all the same quality wise?

see if you look them up at advance the coupe and vert have the same part numbers. where would i find a true vert motor mount if i decided to do those over prothane?

and rock auto for the right mount says "Front Right Convertible Only
Front Right Sedan, Hatchback; After 2/20/92" when you look up a 93 gt

did they change the mounts in 92? this whole ordeal with calipers and such was one thing now these part stores are really confusing me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe the Energy Suspension pieces are the same height as convertible mounts. And there are a couple sets in the FS section right now for < $100.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Get the Energy Suspension ones. The factory changed to all "convertible" style mounts some time in 90 or 91. If you already have them, the Energy ones won't raise the engine significantly. If you don't already have them, the Energy ones will lower it slightly.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fill my fan hit my shroud? i have a 90, so im guessing i have the taller ones. i had to clearance my shroud some thats casue my stock motor mounts are in terrible shape, but am i going to have to clearance it more?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Do you have a picture of the mounts that are on the car?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can get one, im telling you though they are real good and shot. can you tell the height of them from looking? its an early 90 (4-90) and i had to dremel out the bottom of my shroud cause the fan was hitting, just never occured to me it was my motor mounts. ill get some pics up soon

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the Pro-Thane mounts, w/ a QA-1 KM and i have like a hair's clearance with my fan shroud, also ever since i installed them my shifter bezel won't snap down the whole way. I've never had that problem before with a Pro 5.0 So it's the motor mounts that are to blame, Or is it the Pro-thane tranny mount? Definitely going to go with the ES motor mounts, should i get there trans mount as well?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
i can get one, im telling you though they are real good and shot. can you tell the height of them from looking? its an early 90 (4-90) and i had to dremel out the bottom of my shroud cause the fan was hitting, just never occured to me it was my motor mounts. ill get some pics up soon
It's not the height I'm interested in. The two types of mounts are completely different and can easily be differentiated just by looking at them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

not easy to get a good shot of them but from underneath when i was under there the other day they look terrible. the other one i cant get to from the top but its worse than that one.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I never went with a poly trans mount, and I don't miss it. Especially since I've seen several people complain about driveline vibes they didn't get until they switched to one.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
The "hardtop" style is pretty much just a biscuit between two pieces of metal, and if the biscuit fails, the mount can completely separate. The "convertible" style is a captured design, where the two pieces of metal actually interlock with rubber in between them, so it's virtually impossible for them to come completely apart.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I can't tell from that picture.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
so what trans mount then, just a rockauto one ? im gonna go with the es mounts as they seem to be the best from what im hearing. if i have to clearance my fan more thats fine, id like my engine to be lower.

·
Registered
148 Posts
so ive got the hardtop kind right?
From the picture you posted I am 99% sure that you have the hardtop engine mounts. It was in '91 or later that Ford wised up and used the stronger convertible mount in all the V8 cars.

FWIW: I have had the Energy engine mounts and trans mount installed in my '88 for at least 5 years and have been very happy with them. My stock fan also lines up dead-nuts in the center of the fan shroud. Before the ES mounts I was using the convertible style from the parts store, the brand was Anchor if I recall correct. I had to replace the RH engine mount two times under warranty. I don't know if it was a quality issue or... ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts