Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going with one on my daily driven 88 hatch but was wondering what the pros are to these and if any the cons.. I know the weight saves is one but exactly how much weight savings are we talking about?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I twisted my 87 gt's stock steel driveshaft with the only mods being drag radials, 4.10's and exhaust. The car was only 13.70's.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
i dont know how to quite word this, but when you ask when do those advantages become tangible i think to myself what does it matter. you have the money to upgrade a part, so just do it, and eventually it will be worth it. i think its worth it now. for the weight savings alone. and when you start upgrading HP then you dont have to think in the back of your mind. dang is my driveshaft gunna take a poo on me tonight at the track?

btw there isnt much of a cost, they arent tooo expensive imo.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I built an 88 coupe with 4.10's and after installing an aluminum shaft from an aerostar the commute was nicer due to less vibration @65mph.Worth it?Hell yes.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
i dont know how to quite word this, but when you ask when do those advantages become tangible i think to myself what does it matter. you have the money to upgrade a part, so just do it, and eventually it will be worth it. i think its worth it now. for the weight savings alone. and when you start upgrading HP then you dont have to think in the back of your mind. dang is my driveshaft gunna take a poo on me tonight at the track?

btw there isnt much of a cost, they arent tooo expensive imo.
I'll agree with one small change: "IF you have the money to upgrade a part..."

If you have all the money in the world, throw everything you can at it (so long as things match up, and meet your intended purpose). But those who have to pick and choose where to spend project money want to be sure the cash is being well spent. For instance, $270 (I know, less if you find one used) for an AL drive shaft would be better put toward a gear change if starting with a stock car. The $/gain ratio is largely better.

Somebody asked why I didn't get a tubular K when I did my suspension. My reply was "I had to stop spending money someplace." For me, money for a tubular K was better spent in upgrading to Cobra brakes. Superior braking > weight savings.

And to the OP, HERE'S A THREAD that addresses a lot of points. Hope it helps.

Andy

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
I have found that there is more drivetrain noise with an aluminum driveshaft. Not a lot, but definitelt noticeably more.

On a previous to 05 car, you save 8-10 pounds with an AL driveshaft.

Seems like I buy one for every project car, so hopefully it's worth something ;)

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
You know, I just noticed this is in the drag racing section. For this purpose, I guess the overall weight reduction would be beneficial, if you're looking for every opportunity. (There's a thread someplace on here where someone detailed a per-item weight-reduction plan.) For general daily use, though, I'd still wonder if it's worth the $$$.

Andy

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a thread someplace on here where someone detailed a per-item weight-reduction plan.
I'd be interested in that thread if you could find it

and I was looking at the aluminum shaft to help remove as much rotational mass as possible so it sounds like pretty much anybody how has spent the money on them are happy with them.

Thanks allot for the comments fellas

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I'd be interested in that thread if you could find it

and I was looking at the aluminum shaft to help remove as much rotational mass as possible so it sounds like pretty much anybody how has spent the money on them are happy with them.

Thanks allot for the comments fellas
Official Weight Removal Thread

As for rotational mass reduction, while the AL shaft is lighter, if it is also larger in diameter (which I believe it is) the effect is minimized.

Andy

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
The aluminum driveshaft is larger in diameter than the stocker.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for rotational mass reduction, while the AL shaft is lighter, if it is also larger in diameter (which I believe it is) the effect is minimized
Wow never thought about that.. good point

hmmm according to that thread (thanks allot by the way for posting that thread) there's only a 4lb difference :confused:

Steel driveshaft : 22 lbs
Aluminum driveshaft : 16 lbs

So it looks like that's an upgrade for when the stock shaft takes a dump

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Wow never thought about that.. good point

hmmm according to that thread (thanks allot by the way for posting that thread) there's only a 4lb difference :confused:

Steel driveshaft : 22 lbs
Aluminum driveshaft : 16 lbs

So it looks like that's an upgrade for when the stock shaft takes a dump
Unless you're making decent power and running slicks, in which case you'd like to have it in place before your stock shaft twists like a pretzel and rips up the underside of the car. (I don't know if this could really happen, but is sounds like a good way to justify it!) :D

Andy

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea haha.. I don't think my 12 second terror is going to twist up the stock shaft though so that mod is out now until my daily driver does make enough power to do so :)

how come you don't see any carbon fiber shafts out there? for my gmc syclone there are cf upgrade shafts that weigh 4lbs and are stronger then the stock stuff plus if it does go it turns to dust and doesn't take out everything else around it

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
4lbs? I'm pretty sure its a bigger difference. Even then thats still less rotating mass.

Cons. You have to pay 250$ for it.

Pro's. Everything.

A friend of mine on his mach replaced the clutch, put in a light weight flywheel, FMS driveshaft and picked up 2mph and 2 tenths in the 1/4. Its not a massive difference but when you're loosing by 1 car length you'd sell your soul for some sort of an advantage.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I twisted my 87 gt's stock steel driveshaft with the only mods being drag radials, 4.10's and exhaust. The car was only 13.70's.
:bs::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
There are alot of benifits to an alum D/S. If it is on your "to get" list anyway, than just go ahead and get it! Even if it is not absolutely needed now, it will still serve its purpose. Well worth it IMO!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.