Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time to track with new motor. Didn’t drive well and ended up with a 13.081 @ 110.33 MPH on a 2.056 60 ft. Time split attached

My goal is 11.9XX

Full weight car and accessories around 3475 lbs with me in it and full tank of gas.
347 with full bolt on.
Makes 404/419 to whee
Currently bone stock suspension
17 inch 93 Cobra wheels with Nitto 555R tires.
TKO600 trans

Next mods:
Lakewood 70/30 front struts
Strange rear adjustable shocks

Once my Nittos wear down I’m going to ET streets

Install a line lock.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Get some 15" slicks. If you have to have a radial you will need some way to slip to the clutch.

With a tire and power shifting you might be able to get your goal. Loosing some weight would help.

Mine is full weight and I don't plan on taking anything out of it. I have MT radials and a clutch tamer. My next tires will be slicks.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What tire you recommend?

They were taking so Long between rounds today I didn’t get a chance for more runs
and I had to leave.

Get some 15" slicks. If you have to have a radial you will need some way to slip to the clutch.

With a tire and power shifting you might be able to get your goal. Loosing some weight would help.

Mine is full weight and I don't plan on taking anything out of it. I have MT radials and a clutch tamer. My next tires will be slicks.

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
122 Posts
I run bias plys (275 60r15) vortech v2 at about 400ish at the wheels. Best I've cut is a 12.06. Could have hit the 11s but didnt have enough time at the track.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
2.0x 60' at epping and those tires isn't bad.. i'd get some more track time as your mph is very low for that kind of power

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, I didn’t hit the 1-2 shift very well on that run.

I need to get to a street night so I can get multiple runs in.

·
Registered
465 Posts
What tire you recommend?

They were taking so Long between rounds today I didn’t get a chance for more runs
and I had to leave.
Hey I was there too. I was also doing run only and it was a loooong slow day. Was your car the red fox GT with cobra wheels? So many mustangs tough to remember who is who. If you ever see the red 68 Torino swing by. Its the only one ever there.

I tried radials with a stick many times and I suck at it. I went back to bias ply and have much more fun and consistency. At my power level I usually bog but finally getting to where I can get some wheels speed. With the bias ply pretty much hit it as hard as possible lol. I currently have Hoosier QTP 27 x 11.5 and went 1.69 Sunday. When these die I'm going to a 26 x 10.

A good set of upper and lower control arms would probably do you good too once you get a bias ply on there.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What rear gear ratio and what is the 1st gear ration in the transmission? What gear/RPM did you cross the finish line? 110 MPH tells me you have enough HP to run 11s if you are going to optimize the combination for 1/4 mile duty. You are going to need to get the 60 foots down into the high 1.5x range to make 110 MPH produce an 11.99x time.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, that was mine.

Just way too Long to get runs in. I wasn’t going to hang out for another 2.5 hours to just get in another single run.

I need a line lock and the better tires.

I’ve got my stock turbines so I’ll put the bias plys on those for the strip.

My car has MM LCAs but stock everything else for suspension.

Definitely need more practice launching the car so having a goal will make it fun to work at it.

What tire you recommend?

and I had to leave.
Hey I was there too. I was also doing run only and it was a loooong slow day. Was your car the red fox GT with cobra wheels? So many mustangs tough to remember who is who. If you ever see the red 68 Torino swing by. Its the only one ever there.

I tried radials with a stick many times and I suck at it. I went back to bias ply and have much more fun and consistency. At my power level I usually bog but finally getting to where I can get some wheels speed. With the bias ply pretty much hit it as hard as possible lol. I currently have Hoosier QTP 27 x 11.5 and went 1.69 Sunday. When these die I'm going to a 26 x 10.

A good set of upper and lower control arms would probably do you good too once you get a bias ply on there.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2.95 first gear and 3.73s

Suspension mods and tires are in the plans.

My driving sucks too so I need more practice.

What rear gear ratio and what is the 1st gear ration in the transmission? What gear/RPM did you cross the finish line? 110 MPH tells me you have enough HP to run 11s if you are going to optimize the combination for 1/4 mile duty. You are going to need to get the 60 foots down into the high 1.5x range to make 110 MPH produce an 11.99x time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yup, that was mine.

Just way too Long to get runs in. I wasn’t going to hang out for another 2.5 hours to just get in another single run.

I need a line lock and the better tires.

I’ve got my stock turbines so I’ll put the bias plys on those for the strip.

My car has MM LCAs but stock everything else for suspension.

Definitely need more practice launching the car so having a goal will make it fun to work at it.
Yeah I only had 3 passes in by 3pm and got 3 more in by 6pm when it thinned out. Since you have the control arms all ready you should see a huge improvement launching on the bias plys over the radials.

You will be amazed how much quicker you get with just seat time. I've made almost 200 passes in my current car and I'm still figuring it out lol

One of my 12.2 passes from Sunday. I have a horrible habit of not power shifting 2nd. Eventually I'll get it. The DA was 2300, the correction factor to sea level puts it at 11.9. In the fall sometime we go -500' so I am also looking for an 11.99 once the weather cools back down.

·
Registered
241 Posts
From what I hear you are less likely to brake an axel with bias plys, buy its a good idea to get aftermarket axels and c-clip eliminators. I broke a stock axel at the line in a car that only trapped 99 mph with drag radials.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ve got 31 spline moser axles, diff, and TKO600.

Tires shocks and practice are what it will come down too.

Nitto 555Rs just can’t get enough grip.

From what I hear you are less likely to brake an axel with bias plys, buy its a good idea to get aftermarket axels and c-clip eliminators. I broke a stock axel at the line in a car that only trapped 99 mph with drag radials.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Youll see a night and day diff going from radials to a bias. i dont know what shocks you have but that would be on the list if your gearing it twords more track anyways. Did you ever air down your radials?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Can you run radial tires in the front with no issues? I have heard people say that its not a good idea.
I really want to try bias ply on my car.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t see why not. I live about 10-15 min from the track so I don’t have to drive far.

Obviously I would not run bias ply other than at the track.

Can you run radial tires in the front with no issues? I have heard people say that its not a good idea.
I really want to try bias ply on my car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a friend that will run the bias tires on the street. He claims they are fine. I normally don't run my track tires on the street because I don't want to wear them out or pick up a nail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts