Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys I wanted to ask you all a question because I am currently building my first 302 and I want to put a power adder on my 302. Its a stock bottomed 302 with stock crank, stock rods, stock TRW pistons, GT40X 64cc heads, TFS 1 cam, 1.6 rockers, GT40 intake I plan to switch out for a Holley Systemax or Trick Flow intake. I plan on putting an Alkycontrols 100% methanol injection kit. I am running 3.73s with a Tremec 3550 behind my 302 but getting to the point. I've been debated about going with a Procharger P1SC, Vortech V3 and a Paxton Novi. I have seen there are old superchargers like the Powerdyne BD11A and Paxton SN's. What would be worth my money because I want reliability and performance. My goals to try making it into 10 second quarter mile times with my first build. Thanks for any advice you guys have!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
A basic S,SQ,Si,SCi Vortech will be plenty. Can find one used pretty cheap.
Paxton Novis work great too. New 1200,1220,1500 series are really just Vortechs in disguise.(Now the Novi 2000 is/has been Paxtons own thing)
Stay away from Powerdynes and SN series Paxtons.
I dont have much experience with Procharger but they make some nice stuff.

One of my old combos was stock bottom end GT40Y aluminum heads cleaned up a bit,1.7 rockers,Lunati 51014 cam,Holley Systemax,70mm tb,92mm Pro M,60lb injectors,long tubes,X pipe,Pypes cat back,Vortech SCi at 10.5 psi made 521/464.

Ran 11.3 @ 124.9 rolling off on drag radials fairly easy(just a 1.7 60ft) in a fully loaded 89 LX vert.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A basic S,SQ,Si,SCi Vortech will be plenty. Can find one used pretty cheap.
Paxton Novis work great too. New 1200,1220,1500 series are really just Vortechs in disguise.(Now the Novi 2000 is/has been Paxtons own thing)
Stay away from Powerdynes and SN series Paxtons.
I dont have much experience with Procharger but they make some nice stuff.

One of my old combos was stock bottom end GT40Y aluminum heads cleaned up a bit,1.7 rockers,Lunati 51014 cam,Holley Systemax,70mm tb,92mm Pro M,60lb injectors,long tubes,X pipe,Pypes cat back,Vortech SCi at 10.5 psi made 521/464.

Ran 11.3 @ 124.9 rolling off on drag radials fairly easy(just a 1.7 60ft) in a fully loaded 89 LX vert.
Thats not a bad time with that much power and torque. Did your LX vert have suspension built for the drag strip but was streetable too?

Now Ive seen some superchargers have standard and helical cut gears. Is there a major difference between those and how much power the supercharger can provide you?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I had HCI 302. Made 440rwhp and went 10.90's it was 3200lbs with me in it. S-trim will meet you goals. What ever kit you can get used for a good price will work. I have bought 2 used blowers and they all worked good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can’t go wrong with the tried and true S trim. They also hold their value pretty well for sure.
When you guys mention S, Si, SCI, and T trims, what makes those different? Is it just the headunit it the whole kit itself?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had HCI 302. Made 440rwhp and went 10.90's it was 3200lbs with me in it. S-trim will meet you goals. What ever kit you can get used for a good price will work. I have bought 2 used blowers and they all worked good.
I believe mine would be around 3400lbs with me in it because I've not done any tubular suspension work and other things to make it lighter. What blowers do you have if I may ask.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Thats not a bad time with that much power and torque. Did your LX vert have suspension built for the drag strip but was streetable too?

Now Ive seen some superchargers have standard and helical cut gears. Is there a major difference between those and how much power the supercharger can provide you?
It was just "normal". Lowering springs,decent upper and lower control arms,still had the front sway bar on,wide wheels all around,etc.. Was far from a drag setup.

Standard cut gears just means straight cut. They'll make the classic metallic singing sound at idle but will get quite as the rpms come up off idle. Helical cut gears are at an angle and make much less of the noise at idle. Just a personal preference if you like the louder sound at idle or not.

When you guys mention S, Si, SCI, and T trims, what makes those different? Is it just the headunit it the whole kit itself?
It's referring to minor differences in the impeller (fan wheel) of the supercharger.
V1 S was the standard for a LONG time and does fine. It's rated to 725 flywheel hp.
SQ is the same as a S but has the helical cut gears (this is referred to as a V2 model)
Si is an advancement of the S trim and can be had with the V1(straight cut gears)V2(helical cut gears) or the V3 trim (self contained and I believe helical cut gears)
T trim can be had with the V1 or V2 gear set and is rated a bit more than the Si but mainly at higher psi/rpms. Si would probably out perform it on a typicalstock bottom end setup. It's no longer in production as it's been upgraded to the higher flow Ti trim.
All these head units use the same brackets.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was just "normal". Lowering springs,decent upper and lower control arms,still had the front sway bar on,wide wheels all around,etc.. Was far from a drag setup.

Standard cut gears just means straight cut. They'll make the classic metallic singing sound at idle but will get quite as the rpms come up off idle. Helical cut gears are at an angle and make much less of the noise at idle. Just a personal preference if you like the louder sound at idle or not.

It's referring to minor differences in the impeller (fan wheel) of the supercharger.
V1 S was the standard for a LONG time and does fine. It's rated to 725 flywheel hp.
SQ is the same as a S but has the helical cut gears (this is referred to as a V2 model)
Si is an advancement of the S trim and can be had with the V1(straight cut gears)V2(helical cut gears) or the V3 trim (self contained and I believe helical cut gears)
T trim can be had with the V1 or V2 gear set and is rated a bit more than the Si but mainly at higher psi/rpms. Si would probably out perform it on a typicalstock bottom end setup. It's no longer in production as it's been upgraded to the higher flow Ti trim.
All these head units use the same brackets.
Ah alright. This is all good information to know since I'm new to superchargers. Well Ill be looking towards getting a V1 or V3 if I do stick with a Vortech. Most likely I would want a V1 for the noisy gears since I like to hear a whining sound from superchargers.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I would definitely stick with Vortech. Procharger has been having breakage issues when pushed hard the last 5-6 years or so. Any of the blowers suggested will get you into the 10's relatively easily; high 9's if you're willing to work at it. A YSI will get you to the mid 8's (at least) and be pretty darn reliable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would definitely stick with Vortech. Procharger has been having breakage issues when pushed hard the last 5-6 years or so. Any of the blowers suggested will get you into the 10's relatively easily; high 9's if you're willing to work at it. A YSI will get you to the mid 8's (at least) and be pretty darn reliable.
I've seen lots of people stick with Vortech because its affordable but can bring you the same amount of performance Procharger can bring to the table. My question since you mention Procharger has been having breakage issues when pushed hard, what exactly is the problems with Prochargers? Is it just how they're designed or is it something behind how far you push their superchargers?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I've been running Prochargers for as long as I can remember, on everything from motorcycles to my Mustangs with 1 failure of an F1D that was my fault (Failed to check the oil level in the headunit.) I've run everything from a P1SC go an F2M on my Cobra and all performed great. I don't have any experience with Vortech systems, but they make excellent units. My only real gripe with Procharger is that you can't find any compressor maps for their headunits, but that's my only issue. I'm currently running an F1A-94 on my street car and it's performed flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Love my V1 T-trim. Screams at idle and boost hits hard on my 358. For bigger displacement engines I like the bigger T-Trim. Local dyno shop did a dyno comparison on their shop car. I can’t give you the exact numbers, but I know the pro charger won across the board. They now push pro charger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love my V1 T-trim. Screams at idle and boost hits hard on my 358. For bigger displacement engines I like the bigger T-Trim. Local dyno shop did a dyno comparison on their shop car. I can’t give you the exact numbers, but I know the pro charger won across the board. They now push pro charger.
Ive heard the good things about Vortech but I dont know whats good about Procharger other then its installation being easy

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Just for clarification the procharger, Paxton, and Vortech are all very very similar. The only things procharger had over vortech was the self contained aspect which vortech has now. The installation of all of these kits are going to also be very similar as long as you are comparing passenger side mounts. It really comes down to the best bang you can find if going used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my Paxton Novi 2200 that I got from Hillbank Motorsports. Running 450 RWHP on 5.5 lbs of boost. Throw a pully on there with some other things (pins, etc.) and I've seen guys hit 850 RWHP no prob. Pretty sure that'll get you the results you are looking for.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've had both Procharger and Vortech and installed both on other people's cars. P600B, D1, P1SC, V2, V1, YSI--you name it. All have been great. The Procharger installation is a little more involved because of the intercooler but that is about it as far as installation is involved. Anyone with basic mechanical skills can install one. If you can put together a piece of IKEA furniture, you can install a blower.

I'll give you a couple of examples of how tough the Vortechs and Prochargers are. I had a P600B that I bought new in '93. Put it on a '93 GT, '91LX, and '92 GT. Ended up running high 10's before I sold it to a friend. He ran it on his car and went 10.30s. It was eventually sold to someone else. Probably 100K miles and 250 passes on that blower. Replaced the bearings when I sold it as a precaution. Always ran at max RPM. This is one of their first blowers and they have improved since then.

The YSI I have on my car right now sees 70K every time I drive it. This is 5K over max rpm (I think). I bought it used and it came with cog drive pulleys (I run an 8 rig belt though) so at some time it its life, it was cog driven. It has never missed a beat and has the same backlash, end play, shaft play, and sound it had when I first installed it. I bought it over choosing another Procharger only because I found a good deal on it.

TLDR: Can't go wrong with either. Both are good blowers. Find the best deal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys I do appreciate your advice. Ill be keeping my eyes out for a Vortech V1, V3 S trim or Procharger P1SC. Its for my first build so I never owned a blown foxbody and Im hoping a blower will help me achieve 10 second quarter mile times after Im through with suspension, rear diff work and cosmetics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts