Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New member here. I picked up a 91 LX conv fairly cheap because the last owner was frustrated with the car.
The motor is a 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 and has a D1 12 rib Procharger with intercooler, so it has the stock GT40P heads and intake. He told me he took it to a shop in his area that has a dyno in southern wi when he got the car because it was "falling on its face" when he gave it lot of throttle and to have them go through it, see if any changes needed to be made and tune it. While on the shops dyno, the head gaskets blew. There's a repair bill from the shop for around $4500 to replace head gaskets, change the 24lb injectors to 50lb, and install an Areomotive 340 fuel pump. It has a 4R70W automatic trans with a cable to hook up to a lap top for adjusting shift points?

The problem is a short time after it was repaired at the shop by him, the head gaskets failed again. That's how I bought it. The car had 24lb injectors and an MSD 6al when it went in for tuning, came back with 50lb inj and the msd box laying in the trunk with the old injectors. The paperwork shows the shop installed a "colder" spark plug also. It has autolite 764's in it now which were soaked with gas. From what I read that plug is the stock plug for the 2000 explorer engine. I have it tore down to the heads and going to pull them off today. I can see the head gasket part number on the tab that sticks out and its 8548PT2. There is also a listing for a 9333PT1 gasket for the 5.0 that is HD rated. Is this a better option for this motor? I haven't really run the motor enough to see how much boost its making but did drive it off the trailer into my shop. Does all this stuff sound like it should work together? Thanks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
i will give you my thoughts as i am sure other guys will chime in and disagree. i would not run 9333pt1 with iron heads and boost. did not work for me. now, is 12 pounds of boost too much for stock e7 heads? with a really conservative tune? i dont know, you read so many different opinions so i am going off my own experience. i am now running 10111 after trying 9333 twice and so far so good. you could see where it was pushing thru the fire ring on the 9333 where as the 10111 has a wire ring inside the fire ring for support. you also need to limit your boost with the thinner deck iron heads. with an impeller speed of 45000 at 6000 i am getting 12-13 pounds out of my d1sc on a cam,intake 302. will the 9333 work with boost, other guys swear by them and most of them are running thicker deck aluminum heads. in the end it is your choice. if it were me and you have the money and piston to valve clearance aluminum heads would be my choice.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I believe I did the 9333 on my GT40's and they have been holding up fine to boost. If I recall those 764's were the plug I used when my car was NA on gt40's. I since switched to a 103 I think it is.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I've used 9333's on two motors, one iron headed 302 turbo and one alum headed 302 roots blown. Both have been holding up fine for me. I haven't tried that 10111 gasket mentioned above though.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
That being said, I prefer a gasket that will fail before putting a rod through the block. if the 10111 contains super high combustion pressures like it promises, you may nuke the bottom end of the motor before the gaskets fail, which is frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
999 Posts
5.0, how much boost with the iron head and what iron head?
IM running 3bar GT40's. Making 12-13psi with no issues. Im gonna do a pulley change soon likely to make more.

·
Registered
410 Posts
5.0, thanks for reply i was running 13-15.5 at the time. i did pulley it down when i went to 1011s, 13.5 max now. pm, let me know how stepping up the boost works out for ya. good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts