Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust tips are not completely round at the base and will not fit onto the catback. It is more of an oval shape. Now after trying to get it on I can not get it off. Has anyone had these problems or any and how did they fix it. The tip is sticking out about 2 inches too far now and are hitting the hanger or the bumper. I am worried about the heat messing up the paint or the bumper. Help! Other than that I love the sound, looks, and fitment.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
56 Posts
Same Problem

Hey I had that same problem. What I did was to take the tips to a muffler shop and have them expand the part where it fits on the pipes. I told them that it has to fit a 2 and 1/2 inch pipe. Now it slides in and out without much problem and I can adjust it just where I want it. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pipe expander, I will try that. I went to Midas and they didnt think they could do anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yeah thats what my muffler shop used a pipe expander. made a perfect 2an1/2 inch circle. let me know how it turns out

·
Registered
402 Posts
KickerStang said:
Pipe expander, I will try that. I went to Midas and they didnt think they could do anything.
FWIW... Midas shops typically can't do much of anything on a good day. That's the first time I've heard of one of them being honest and open about it, though. :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, here is an update. I took the tailpipe to a local muffler shop and I payid them $20 to put it on a pipe expander. At least it is fixed. I put the pipe back on and it is still hard, and I realized that it would be easier to tighten if I put them on the other side. So I swapped sides on the tailpipes. My driver's side is easier to get on than my passenger side, even with different tips. Now they are both on and I think it is just the catback pipe that is a little bigger and not so easy to put on. I will get a new tailpipe just because the other one got a little dented from me messing around with it and it is on the easy side now so it will be easier. I took it out for another spin and I love the sound even with the stock H pipe. Now I dont know if I will get a new H pipe or X pipe because I like how deep it sounds and I dont want it to sound raspy, but I would like it to be a little louder. Thanks guys:evil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts