Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any experience with this piece? Went to install this weekend only to find it wouldn't fit; the bottom is too long and will not fit the angle of the strut towers! and not by a little...we're talking a good 5/16". I was slightly upset. Of course KB says they've sold hundreds and have NEVER had a fitment problem. I can see maybe an 1/8" variation car to car...but 5/16"?? Bottom of strut tower to bottom of strut tower I get 37 7/8". Can anybody help me out?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I'm talking about the bottom of the rear shock tower, basically the measurement along the floor (trunk) pan between the towers (inside the vehicle). The tower sides are at an angle relative to the floor pan. That angle in my car did not match the angle of the KB brace resulting in too narrow of a space between the towers for the brace to fit in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take it there are few if any of you IRS Cobra owners out there that have installed this brace on your cars. What I am being lead to believe is that my 99 is an "odd-ball" because of the narrow spacing I have between the bottoms of the rear shock towers. Do any of you have the measurements from your car between the bottoms of the towers (along the floor pan)? Mine measures 37 7/8". The brace measures 38 1/4". Therefore it won't fit down on top of the shock tower shock mounts. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TTT - anybody, please. Should I give up on the idea and put my car back together, or do I have hope (my car is not so odd), and the brace really does help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the rear shock tower brace mounts over the shock tower with an L type flange that sits on top of the tower (the shock mount through it), and down along the side of the tower (you drill through the side of the tower and bolt through). Its actually the side flange that does most of the bracing. The measurement between the top shock mounting holes is dead on at 41 7/8" , and matches the brace. The side flanges are not quite 90 degrees to the top flange, but close, and should match the angle of the shock towers. This is where my problem is. The angle does not match. The bottom of my shock towers are closer together than the brace is at the bottom of its two side flanges. Therefore I cannot push the brace down on top of the towers.
I can't explain it any better. I need to draw a picture and post that, but I'm not sure how.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone out there with this piece installed on their car? or that has their trunk interior pieces out and can give me their measurements? Am looking for the dimension between the bottom of the rear shock towers.
Kenny Brown informs me now that their brace won't work with the 37 7/8" measurement I get between the bottom of my shock towers, which would mean that my car is different from the masses. Before I accept that conclusion, I'd sure like to see that measurement from a few other IRS cobras!
Any help would be truely appreciated!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts