Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I think we finally got the problem solved!!

Scott at SHM suggested we change all the lifters and reshim them.

We did this on Saturday with help from a great friend.
When we tore it down we noticed there were only 12 shims, 4 were missing. The shims Scott sent were thicker than the ones we took out.

We put everything back in with new gaskets and everything is working fine. We even did some street racing Saturday night and nothing broke!:joy:

Since the cam installation there has been some valvetrain nosie, now that is even gone.

Thanks Scott @ SHM and Donnie!

Heather

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
So, were the followers breaking because they were sloppy loose?
Joe

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Congratulations on getting your problem solved. Sounds like you're very happy.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Do you think this has anything to do with JMS screwing up the motor before? Just curious because JMS seems to be on a downward spiral.

Jonathan

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Heather,
Just for grins..........did ya'll measure the shims? I'm curious because I've got a set of SHM Stage II cams here for a customer who wanted them and I'm not exactly sold on the shims they sent.

·
Registered
188 Posts
SD,

The shims I have from SHM are 0.040". I'm with you on these being a little thin. They seem to work fine on my engine, but since I have the valve covers off I might throw in some 0.060". I think that should put the geometry closer to stock. What do you think?

Later

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys.

Joe, The followers were breaking b/c they were loose. I am not really sure what happened.

Shannon, The shims we put in were thicker 0.080".
The ones we took out were 0.040"

So far so good. I have been racing it and everything is holding up:joy:

Heather

1 - 7 of 7 Posts