Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the middle of a few repairs on the car, a bad lower intake gasket (I didn’t install it) and some exhaust leaks at the header and downpipes, after 30 miles of run time I also found a few hot spots that need heat protection. I will say owning a turbo car is a constant battle against heat and it’s frustrating, but if I ever figure this out I hope to be able to actually enjoy the car.

One thing I’ve never had issues with was the tune or drivability of the car, the Pro-M had been nothing short of fantastic, the car with the new software upgrade was running flawlessly. I’m excited to test out the new Boost Control feature, I had a $600 TurboSmart eBoost2 controller and it had some nice features like boost by gear, how ever it was a manual system which required me to tell the controller which gear I was in, I have nothing against the controller and it was easy to use and worked well for me, I’m just excited to have the boost control integrated into the ECU.

The solenoids came with weather pack connectors, a harness to attach to my #2 Meth Sensor and a terminal to move one pin on the ECU. I’ve read over the directions and like everything else it’s pretty straight forward, tell the ECU wastegate spring pressure and desired boost based on numerous parameters like gear, rpm, etc. I run 4lb springs and have the ECU setup to raise boost to 10psi. A 3-Bar map sensor is required, I hope to have the car back running soon to test it out, what I like best is that the traction control will able to help in a situation where one might get a little greedy with the amount of boost. Boost control is now just one less thing I need to worry about.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the great write up on your first impressions !
Can’t wait to hear how it works out for you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've spent the past couple of weeks installing and testing supercharger boost control. We uncovered a few things, and Chris made a few revisions. We played with different spring combinations and learned a lot. It's pretty slick and working well. The way mine is set up now, I can get boost as high as 25 pounds and as low at 15 at 6500 RPM

Some things it can do
  • Set desired boost for RPM and Throttle Position globally (this is the most basic form)
  • Set desired boost as above but independently by gear (If enabled, the basic table is ignored)
  • Set boost for launch
  • Increase boost over base tables for ethanol concentration (if flex fuel controls are enabled)
  • Increase boost over base tables with methanol injection (if the Pro M water-methanol system is enabled)
  • Set boost limits for different coolant temps and air charge temps
What's important to remember with supercharger boost control is that it's NOT a turbo. You can't just command more boost anywhere and get it. You're ultimately going to be limited to what the blower and pulley combination can make at any particular engine RPM. For example, if your combo makes 6 psi at 4000 and 12 psi at 6000 without boost control, you're not going to be able to make more than those amounts unless you also move to a smaller pulley. What boost control will do is allow you to LOWER boost from the mechanical limits when/where desired. Using my above example, you can make a flat 6 psi from 4000 to 6000 instead of climbing to 12, or make 4 psi at 4000 and only climb to 10 by 6000 if you want. You just need to make sure you use the proper spring(s) in your wastegate that allow for your desired controllable boost range.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I did not realize the boost control feature was available now. Is this available on the website yet or do we need to contact Chris right now for this?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did not realize the boost control feature was available now. Is this available on the website yet or do we need to contact Chris right now for this?
I don't think it's released to the public yet. I have a test version. I expect Chris will be releasing it in the near future after a few more enhancements are made that came about from the testing and spitballing some ideas.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't think it's released to the public yet. I have a test version. I expect Chris will be releasing it in the near future after a few more enhancements are made that came about from the testing and spitballing some ideas.
John, if you don't mind me asking, what setup are you using as far as bypass valve/wastegate to make this work with the Pro-M?

What I would like to ultimately do is turn up the boost to give more boost on the low end but then control the amount of total boost up top.

·
Registered
179 Posts
John, if you don't mind me asking, what setup are you using as far as bypass valve/wastegate to make this work with the Pro-M?

What I would like to ultimately do is turn up the boost to give more boost on the low end but then control the amount of total boost up top.
I run the big red Procharger race bypass valve. Not the enormous one that came out recently, but the one that people traditionally call "big red."

I have a Tial V60 for a wastegate. I experimented with the small yellow, small blue, big blue, and big blue with small yellow springs. That included both bench testing and testing in the car. This gave us a really good sense of how other spring combinations would work as well.

You will need to keep your bypass and add a wastegate. If you go with the V60, I can pretty much tell you exactly how it will behave. What's the maximum boost you'd ever want to make?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I run the big red Procharger race bypass valve. Not the enormous one that came out recently, but the one that people traditionally call "big red."

I have a Tial V60 for a wastegate. I experimented with the small yellow, small blue, big blue, and big blue with small yellow springs. That included both bench testing and testing in the car. This gave us a really good sense of how other spring combinations would work as well.

You will need to keep your bypass and add a wastegate. If you go with the V60, I can pretty much tell you exactly how it will behave. What's the maximum boost you'd ever want to make?
Probably 12 psi for now...still running my stock lower end. Maybe more down the road if I go with a Dart block build.

Do you have the wastegate before your MAF (blow through)? Trying to figure out how you are dumping boost and not messing with metered air.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Probably 12 psi for now...still running my stock lower end. Maybe more down the road if I go with a Dart block build.

Do you have the wastegate before your MAF (blow through)? Trying to figure out how you are dumping boost and not messing with metered air.
WG has to be before a blow through MAF. My setup goes blower, bypass (dumping to atmosphere), WG (dumping to atmosphere), intercooler, MAF, throttle body.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I forgot to answer you about springs for the wastegate. If you use a V60 then the small blue spring would be the one you'd want if your intention is to make no more than 12 psi. You could go as high as 14 with it before it starts bleeding boost when you don't want it to. The large yellow spring would be the next step up allowing you to get around 16.5 before you have a leakage problem. If you never intend on going that high, I'd recommend the small blue as it will allow you to drop to lower pressures if/when desired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts