Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you need to get oil to a turbo upon 1st time start up?Or just start the car as normal?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i took the fitting out of mine and pored a cap full of oil into it and spun the shaft by hand, then started the car...But i think it will be fine to just start it up, the motor should make psi as soon as it fires up..

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would just prime the whole system to be safe. It doesnt hurt anything to be extra careful.

·
Registered
711 Posts
how does one prime the whole system??
Quick and easy way is to unplug your coil wire and turn the key over for about 15-20 seconds; this will spin the distriubtor which will run the oil pump. The correct way is to get a priming tool and connect it to your drill with the distributor pulled.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it.

As said before, pour a cap full in there so the bearing is not bone dry
and just start the car up. Wont take 1/2 a sec for oil to run thru the lines.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quick and easy way is to unplug your coil wire and turn the key over for about 15-20 seconds; this will spin the distriubtor which will run the oil pump. The correct way is to get a priming tool and connect it to your drill with the distributor pulled.
I forgot to mention its a 00 lol. Thanks man!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i will either use my priming tool or take the coil off. Thanks guys

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
pop the TFI connector off and crank for 15-20 seconds. Unlugging the TFI will also kill the fuel pump so you are not dumping fuel

+1

You don't really want a bunch of puddled fuel on a first start up...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have an oil cooler as well in mine and i just pulled the fuel pump connector and cranked the car over. Let it crank for a while to fill the oil cooler and lines and thus filling the turbo as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts