Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at which turbo to go with and I am thinking the Precision 7675 CEA billet wheel turbo is what I want However I'm wondering if I am making the right choice. My rods are MMR I beam rods and they are rated at 750 rwhp. I can get a turbonetics hurricane Vanessa for about half and it says they are rated at 650-750 hp. Would the Precision 7675 be Overkill? I know they have been around a long time but I have also heard the quality isn't that good. Just need some advice.

Here the turbonetics specs

Hurricane 7668 Vanessa
650-750
Compressor wheel: HP-76
Comp inlet/outlet: 4.0" / 2.5" Non-Ported Shroud
Turbine wheel: F1-68
Turbine housing: T4 0.96 A/R
Turbine housing inlet/outlet: 3" V-Band

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Depends what your goals are. Where are you seeing that the precision billet wheel turbo quality isn't very good? And you're comparing a 650-700hp to a 1,000+ hp capable turbo...I would determine what your weak point on your setup is and what your goals are and start from there

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends what your goals are. Where are you seeing that the precision billet wheel turbo quality isn't very good? And you're comparing a 650-700hp to a 1,000+ hp capable turbo...I would determine what your weak point on your setup is and what your goals are and start from there
I worded that wrong. I meant I had heard the turbonetics aren't very good quality. The weak point would be the rods. They are only rated at 750 rwhp. That's why I was wondering if the precision 7675 was overkill since it is capable of 1200hp. I was wondering if the turbonetics would be better suited since it is rated at 650-750 hp. However the more I read about the turbonetics the more I am thinking of sticking with the Precision. I have read that the turbonetics runs out of steam around 550 rwhp. I am looking to make around 700 rwhp.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I worded that wrong. I meant I had heard the turbonetics aren't very good quality. The weak point would be the rods. They are only rated at 750 rwhp. That's why I was wondering if the precision 7675 was overkill since it is capable of 1200hp. I was wondering if the turbonetics would be better suited since it is rated at 650-750 hp. However the more I read about the turbonetics the more I am thinking of sticking with the Precision. I have read that the turbonetics runs out of steam around 550 rwhp. I am looking to make around 700 rwhp.

Got ya, now that makes sense. I have also read of some quality issues with turbonetics which is why I went pte too. If you're looking for an off the shelf turbo I really don't think you can go wrong with the 7675. I was going through the same thing and it's definitely not a cheap turbo and can be tempting to buy another for half the price. The 7675 will easily support your goal, is actually relatively small for a midframe turbo which makes clearance way easier, and obviously the quality will be there. Have you ever considered looking into Borg? I did a lot of research on them because at first glance they are half price of the 7675, but once you upgrade to billet wheel it's the same price but I have a buddy with an S480 and I will say that it's a beast of a turbo. For your goals you could probably look into a s300 series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Look into getting a PTE 6466. It will make 700rwhp and spool quicker. Quicker spool means more tq. Zero point in having a 1200hp capable turbo and you never plan to use it "all".

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Look into getting a PTE 6466. It will make 700rwhp and spool quicker. Quicker spool means more tq. Zero point in having a 1200hp capable turbo and you never plan to use it "all".
^^

ks

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
3-500 rpm is a big difference when working with a tight converter. Also a big difference when street driving. You don't have to have it, but the car will make more to and hp in lower rpms. My bb turbos I was running last year with .82 exhaust housings were spooled up as quick as my jb turbos with .63 exhaust housings.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After several conversations with Jordan from MHS I have decided to stick with a Precision 7675 CEA Billet wheel turbo. With it at least If I ever do decide to switch to a better set of rods I will have room to grow.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
In the end it's your money. You should talk to others before spending your money. At least get Jefferys' opinion. Mhs also has smaller turbo cams. There's street performance and then racing performance. I want the stuff that makes more hp.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the end it's your money. You should talk to others before spending your money. At least get Jefferys' opinion. Mhs also has smaller turbo cams. There's street performance and then racing performance. I want the stuff that makes more hp.
I have MHS stage 3 heads with his next gen stage 2 turbo cams.my car is basically a street car that goes to the track on the weekends. Below is what I was told.

, personally I think those turbos are way too small. The 7675 will breathe much better and also give you some room to grow. The 6466 is a good turbo and will make the 750 WHP but is more efficient as a single on a much smaller engine. These heads flow a ton on the exhaust side and need to room to breathe. It's going to be the difference of running 12lbs of boost vs 18lbs of boost (and the back pressure associated with those pressures) to get to the same goal.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You need to look at the pressures that the turbos work best in and fut it to your goals. I'm not trying to sale you anything. My car has never made 700rwhp on a duniya either, but out runs a car that made over 700rwhp on the dyno. The other car had 7675. You seem to know him.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You need to look at the pressures that the turbos work best in and fut it to your goals. I'm not trying to sale you anything. My car has never made 700rwhp on a duniya either, but out runs a car that made over 700rwhp on the dyno. The other car had 7675. You seem to know him.
Pretty sure I know who you are talking about. I'm use to worry about Dyno numbers but I got over that pretty quick. I just want everything to work well together and run good at the track and on the streets. My ultimate goal is to eventually get into the 9s in the 1/4 and still be a street car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where is a good place to really start learning about turbos and how they work? I'm knowledgeable about centri setups but not turbos.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What setup are you running?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts