Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Blame Canada!!!!!!
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use a powerstroke turbo,1to1 on a 351 with good results? I did a search and didnt really find anything out. looking to run 10 psi.

·
4,310 Posts
I have seen people use the turbos off the 7.3 on 302 motors and have decent results even though everyone told them it would not work out at all. I do not know anything about the turbos but to say if they would be okay on a 351 or not.

·
Registered
883 Posts
i would say a 351 is too big of a motor for a 7.3turbo.

i dont have the compressor map here in front of me, but i know it is barely large enough for 5 liters. in reality it isnt big enough for 5.0l at higher revs.

the compressor is only a .54 trim.

really for gas its best for a 4 liter or smaller. it gets away with 7.3 diesel because a 7.3 revs low.
i look at it for a 4.6 but it requires low revs or 12 psi for any efficiency.

·
Registered
883 Posts
now there is a version that WILL work for 5.0l. if you buy one and add the 'wicked wheel". its a much higher flow wheel but is very noisy.

·
Blame Canada!!!!!!
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
238 Posts
The "wicked wheel" offers NO performance gains over the stock one. It only helps with the surging you get when towing heavy loads and it is a bit louder than the stock wheel. Combine the wicked wheel with an ATS ported housing and you'll need a good set of ear plugs :).

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Hey I have 2 of the tp38s or 7.3l turbos.

I love the TP38 (powerstroke turbo) because it has great support, just not for custom installs. How loud is the ats housing and the "WW"? Have you been on the powerstroke forums?

·
Registered
864 Posts
remember, if you choose one of these turbos, your hotside piping will need to be changed in order to accommodate a larger turbo in the future. if it were me id go with a mp-70 or 76 if you are on the cheap. either that or a precision 76gtsh. like i said what you have should work, but when you want more, its a lot more involved. stick with a standard t4 footprint and you have a LOT of possibilities

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
What are you talking about my tp38 has a T4 flange. Why would you need to change your hotpiping? Maybe the downpipe flange, but that's about it. I will admit that these turbos would not be my 1st choice just because of the oil line setup. The wicked wheel is SUPPOSED to add something or other, but???

·
Blame Canada!!!!!!
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
remember, if you choose one of these turbos, your hotside piping will need to be changed in order to accommodate a larger turbo in the future. if it were me id go with a mp-70 or 76 if you are on the cheap. either that or a precision 76gtsh. like i said what you have should work, but when you want more, its a lot more involved. stick with a standard t4 footprint and you have a LOT of possibilities
I want to use it because I already have it. no need to spend money if I don't need to.

·
Registered
864 Posts
then go for it ! go to the theturboforums.com and search about it. plenty of people making about 500 horse with them.

·
Blame Canada!!!!!!
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have searched there. All i found was 'can I use this, can I use that'. Probably will just gotta wait till winter comes again.

·
Blame Canada!!!!!!
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
144 Posts
They are called TP38 for the 94-97.5 and GTP38R 99+. Just search on the diesel forums...please don't guess some people take the net as the gospel.
That was no guess.

Both pre 97' and post 97' 7.3L engines are the same as an International
T444E. International actually made Ford's pickup and commercial diesel engines.

International did use TP3801 turbos on 94-97 and the GTP38(not the GTP38R ball bearing turbo) AND the GT3776D on the post 97'-VNT, as well as the
TC4305 on pre 94's.

I was simply trying to give him a compressor map so he could make his own decision. The GT3776 is the only readily available map I know of for the powerstrokes.

stangman308, if you have a part number off your turbo(should look something like this...1825155C92), I can cross reference it to a Garrett supplier number and tell you exactly what model turbo you have.

Here is a link to an International engine parts guide so you can see for yourself...http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/download/2003EngineQuickRefrenceGuide.pdf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts