Ford Mustang Forums banner

Powerpipes 101

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  veech 
#1 ·
I would Like to know All abot them. Homemade, "Pro Built", Looks, Finish pros Cons, Gains , Losses . . .

Educate Me :D

~Veech~

#3 ·
Results: 1-3 psi gains with large pulleys.

1-?? psi gains with small pulleys at higher boost.

The idea behind the design is to reduce or eliminate the harsh inlet bend (180* here) and open up the inlet with larger opening. More air means the compressor has to do less work to achieve the same amount of boost. I've seen some pretty original homemade stuff. $250 up vs small$. :joy:

#4 ·
Wow, Nobody else has a powerpipe or any knowledge of one except scoupe89?

Come on Guys,Im Running a Stretched out/Hacked up SOHC inlet Tube For my Vortech on My DOHC and it Doesnt look Nor Flow To good. :(

Thanks
~Veech~

#5 · (Edited)
Heres my homemade powerpipe. My Vortech SQ kit was purchased in 2000 and came with a funky flex tubing that entered into the fender to hook up the Mass air meter. I kept having problems with this flex hose slipping off and I was worried that the fender may cut into it causing a unmetered air leak. The pipe is made from a 3.5" Mandral bent Exhaust Pipe. I cut the pipe in half and then cut the bend off of another so that I would have the angles I needed. The fittings for the Bypass hose and such is PVC. I drilled into the pipe then loaded the fittings up with heat resistent 2 ton epoxy. Then I forced the fittings into the pipe. After the fittings setup I dremeled the fittings smooth on the inside of the pipe for smooth air flow. I also added more expoxy to the inside and outside of the fittings to make sure that they were good and strong. I used Marine Exhaust silicone tubing to connect the pipes together. Much cheaper then buying those sleaves from vortech or whoever. I then shot the pipe in and out with primer and then some silver paint I had laying around.

Heres a shot of it installed.

#8 ·
Thanks!

The pipe was prebent in a U-shape. I think I bought the exhaust pipe for around $30.00. All I had to do is cut it where I wanted to.

#12 ·
#16 ·
Not sure about the Anderson pipe but it could be 4 Inch. And as far as it connects, I don't know because I havn't seen one close up.

#17 ·
Most pipes are 4", the hard part is finding the parts to mate different sizes..

If I had all the right parts it would take 5-10 min. to install. I have the 90mm MAF = 3.54 in. venturi opening, so that is the bottleneck. Every other pipe should be larger. There are gains by getting rid of sharp bends and dryer hose. Need to achive smooth surface and as large pipe that still fits.

#18 ·
Very well done, I'm impressed.

I'd like to make a pipe for mine, but I'd also like to extend the air filter into the fenderwell. This does give me ideas though! :joy:

Thanks for the pictures and links.

#19 ·
Diesel Components Inc stocks all the materials for power pipes/high-flow MAF-to-TB pipes. They carry stock mandrel bent tubing (90's and 45's) up to 6" diameter, large diameter straight tubing, and polymer connectors (hump connectors, 45's and 90's).

Their phone numbers are 800-252-6625 or 952-890-2885. Their website is: www.dieselcomponentsinc.

Hope this helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.