Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you guys running the factory speedo and vss in a powerglide transmission. Thank you

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
At one time, I seem to remember PATC selling a cable that you could "build"-which was useful for adapting between different makes. There was also an adapter that would go into the GM trans and adapt your Ford cable to, but I cant remember where I saw them.

Here is one of them that I do remember:
Speedometer Cables

Ideally, to be able to use the VSS, you'll want an adapter. The adapters USED to be found at PATC (http://www.transmissioncenter.net). IIRC, part number 6800. I did not see it listed on their site and my memory is not good, so it may be best to call them directly.

Good luck-and if you find something that works, please post it here as others have asked me about doing the same thing.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If your glide has a stock gearset, it will work with the adapter. I had it years ago set up like that. If it has aftermarket gearset, the speedo cable will not work. I have the 96-04 spindles on my fox with the abs ring, I used the abs sensor to read mph, this setup only works with a aftermarket ecu.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Why not just eliminate all that headache/fabrication & go with a GPS speedometer? That way,you can run any gear/trans/tire size you want...and they're on Amazon,etc for < $50. Of course Auto Meter makes one that is like $325:surprise:. This is what I'll be doing on my next build:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
My Ultraglide didn't have a provision for one. had to install an auxiliary transmission to get the stock speedometer to work.

Expensive, but it works.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I use a GPS. Way better than the old speedo - shows altitude, compass direction, time and street as well as speed. Wouldn't trade it for my old speedo anymore.

You can see it here - though I turn it off at the track (I should make a pass with it on and see what speed I can hit on it):

1 - 6 of 6 Posts