Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the smallest crank pulley I can put on the engine. The power steering pulley is stock. 95GT. The vent hole in the cap is spitting fluid out. The level is correct. I spin the engine to 8000. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
326 Posts
A couple of suggestions. Some have drilled and tapped the cover to install a few inches of hose (something like fuel line hose) to give some more room for fluid expansion.

One cut the reservoir tube about in the middle and extended the height with some hose held on with hose clamps. I don't remember the diameter of the hose or where he got it from.

Last, which I did, is install a small cooler for the PS fluid.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a big cooler on it. I have this issue when the fluid is cold too. I would be willing to put a bigger pulley on it if someone makes one. I have never had this issue before but I only rev'ed the old set up to 7000. This issue is RPM related. I just need to know how to tackle it.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
One cheap and easy solution is to extend the reservoir. You can do it a variety of ways, but an easy way is to get about a 6-inch length of "gas pump hose" I think they call it at NAPA, whose inside diameter matches the o.d. of the reservoir. Cut the top of the reservoir off cleanly 1.5 to 2 inches down from the top, then clamp the hose to the stub on the reservoir and clamp the top part you cut off to the top of the hose. You can use this to add a little more fluid capacity but the key is a lot more expansion capacity.

Look closely in this pic and you can see what I've done. I got the idea here or at c-c.com so if you search you may find better pics and descriptions.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
would this make sense to do on just a 6000 rpm and under reving engine, ?

i want to do it just incase it does overheat and spill, but im running stock bottum end, stock pulleys

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I never rev mine much over 5800 and I have an underdrive crank pulley, and it pissed all over the place before I put the extension on.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I didn't know RPM is what pushed out the fluid. I assumed it was right turns. Willow Springs has a few fast right turns & that's where my car would spill fluid all over the driver's side of the engine bay.

Anyway, I did what MFE did. Cut the reservoir, took it in to Autozone and fit it to some radiator hose.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a big cooler on it. I have this issue when the fluid is cold too. I would be willing to put a bigger pulley on it if someone makes one. I have never had this issue before but I only rev'ed the old set up to 7000. This issue is RPM related. I just need to know how to tackle it.
Pretty sure the 3.8L SN95/T-Bird pulley is bigger than the SN95 GT one, it's definately bigger than the Fox one by a good deal. That's what I have on my car, no fluid loss since I installed it, got mine at the local Ford dealer.

The extension looks like a good idea too.

·
Registered
850 Posts
A quality, high performance PS fluid (like Redline) helps with fluid expansion too although it will not solve the problem alone.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I picked up an underdrive crank pulley, a larger 6" 3.8L PS pulley and use Royal Purple fluid. Did the trick for me. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts