Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for another power steering pump option. I have a 92 foxbody with a 302 it seems like every pump i get wants to whine like crazy. I have read somewhere about putting a different type of oil in them besides power steering fluid. Can't remember for the life of me what type that was but I am willing try that before I change pumps again. If I have to change pumps is there one thats better then another if so what is it and does it directly bolt up or is the modification that have to be done. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Although my pump doesn't whine, while on track the stock fluid would get hot and push out the filler. I swapped to Red Line's power steering product which has worked much better.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I am looking for another power steering pump option. I have a 92 foxbody with a 302 it seems like every pump i get wants to whine like crazy. I have read somewhere about putting a different type of oil in them besides power steering fluid. Can't remember for the life of me what type that was but I am willing try that before I change pumps again. If I have to change pumps is there one thats better then another if so what is it and does it directly bolt up or is the modification that have to be done. Thanks in advance.
It whines because you are using the wrong fluid. Ford clearly states to use Type F transmisión fluid. Using standard power steering fluid results in a terrible whine and voids the warrantee. You need to completely flush the system and replace the fluid with Type F. You may have to replace the pump again too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’ve used type F in a rebuilt pump in my 87 grand Marquis and it still whines. When cold it’s fine it’s when it gets hot it starts to whine. A cooler might help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same issue with my pump using type F fluid. It turns out the pumps are some time made with too tight of tolerances and will whine regardgless of fluid used. I switched to an AGR pump and all of the issues went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts