Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Mustang GT with a Vortech Supercharger mounted on the passenger side. I'm having an issue with finding an accessory belt that fits properly. The angle of my power steering pump along with my idler makes it to where my belt will rub on the water pump. If I get a smaller belt then I can't fit it on without unbolting my power steering pump and finagling it on that way. There's got to be an easier way to do this. I vaguely remember people talking about switching the pulley on the power steering pump to make the angle better so it will clear the water pump pulley. Has anyone done this? If so what's the part number of the pulley? If not what are some other ways to help with this problem?

Like always thanks for the info.

·
Registered
643 Posts
You need a 1993 Cobra water pump pulley which is smaller in diameter. These are pricey and hard to come by the last time I checked. I believe some guys may also swap to a late model T-bird PS pulley that is larger in diameter.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Forgot to mention that I have seen the tensioner "clocked" to allow a bit of a different angle of attack on the belt if that makes sense.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea on a part number for either of those? I already have the pulley off the Power steering pump so preferably that one but really either would do

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a Cobra WP pulley at home and can post that number later. I'm not sure on the PS pulley part #.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Maybe someone else can verify this, but I heard if you run a sn v6 power steering pump pulley it?s larger in diameter and will help with this.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Maybe someone else can verify this, but I heard if you run a sn v6 power steering pump pulley it?s larger in diameter and will help with this.
that's true

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I have a 91 Mustang GT with a Vortech Supercharger mounted on the passenger side. I'm having an issue with finding an accessory belt that fits properly. The angle of my power steering pump along with my idler makes it to where my belt will rub on the water pump. If I get a smaller belt then I can't fit it on without unbolting my power steering pump and finagling it on that way. There's got to be an easier way to do this. I vaguely remember people talking about switching the pulley on the power steering pump to make the angle better so it will clear the water pump pulley. Has anyone done this? If so what's the part number of the pulley? If not what are some other ways to help with this problem?...
All Vortech's for Fox body are on the passenger side. They use a separate belt, not the accessory belt.
They made 1000's of these that fit with no problem.
1986-1993 Ford Mustang 5.0L Supercharging Systems | Vortech Superchargers

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Good catch on the pic. Also, that is depicting a stock engine accessory set up with A/C, smog pump and all. Is this what the OP is dealing with (I thought no)? He is not stating that the same belt is used for the blower and acc's. He is stating his issue is with the acc belt after relocating the PS making contact at or near the water pump, which is a common issue when things are altered, added, deleted. The tensioner should end up somewhere in its working range with the belt on so having to unbolt the PS to get the belt on is telling me the tensioner is maxed out already.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to update. I'm not sure if it is the correct non a.c. mounting bracket or not. The car has no a.c. and eliminated smog pump(it does have the elimanator pulley for the smog). I ordered the cobra water pump pulley. The parts stores here don't sell the power steering pulleys and couldn't get me a part number for the v6 one. The water pump pulley is coming in today. So hopefully I can get it on and give you guys another update.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
just go to a local pull-a-part and grab one or ebay

Power Steering Pulley FORD THUNDERBIRD 93

eBay item number:201683660178

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I talked to Vortech about some of this stuff before. These kits, were orig. designed to be used on a stock motor with all stock accessories/pulley's in place. So anytime you deviate from that, i.e. no AC or power steering as an example, you will have to just figure out what you need to do on your own. No biggie.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had this exact same issue with my fox. I have a 347 stroker with V1 blower, full accessories. The belt I had that was recommended was too long. We back to a standard for 90.5 inch belt and it fit, tight, but it fits. I think i would be better off with a 91". What you'll have to do is use a piece of string and wrap it around all your accessories and then measure it out and see how long it is. Since you deleted the a/c, im thinking you need like a 87.5 or an 88" belt. but no way to tell until you measure it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just went through this on my car. I have a V1 Vortech kit on a 92 5.0 with smog pump delete, 3g alt, no air conditioning, power steering pump located where the a/c would be.

The vortech kits were designed for cars with air conditioning and when you put it all together on a car without a/c and the power steering pump up where the a/c would be, the belt under the tensioner will be touching the water pump pulley. Some people say the fix is that you need a 93cobra water pump pulley and a 99-04 V6 power steering pump pulley. Others say that you can just drill a hole and reclock the tensioner. Some say the larger power steering pump pulley is all you need.

I re clocked the tensioner and found a belt so tight I had to remove the water pump pulley, install the belt and reinstall. It worked in that I had clearance and the belt felt tight but the tensioner was maxed and the belt did slip when revved.

I then added a newer v6 power steering pump pulley and bought a longer belt. With the tensioner reclocked it slipped but in the stock position it worked in that it didn't seem to slip but the tensioner was maxed and I only had maybe an 1/8th of an inch clearance between the belts and once it stretch the belt touched.

I then added a 93cobra water pump pulley in addition to the 99-04 V6 power steering pump pulley and bought another belt (for my setup it ended up being 75.5" belt) and I have more than enough clearance, installing the belt wasn't too hard, no slippage and the tensioner is right in the middle of its range.

Long story short, although some people have supposedly been able to get it to work without, I wish I would have just grabbed the two pulleys recommended in the first place and dialled in the right belt once. Ford has discontinued the 93cobra pulley but ASP offers a remake (part number ASP-520141) I found for Summit Racing for $68 and I bought a Doorman power steering pulley (ford oem part number YR3Z3A733AA) from Rock Auto for $20.

Hopefully the info helps a bit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts