Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, finally getting ready to start re-installing stuff.

I've got a Termi rack; an SN95 pump.

Got the MM Rack AN adapters. Need to order some hose and fittings, not a big deal, Earl's makes what looks like the right stuff. I flipped through Goodridge's catalog, but it's a little difficult to figure out.

I'm looking at the pump body, and it looks like the pressure side uses either a 5/8" (or probably 16mm) thread. The factory fitting I took off the old pump is set up like a brake line, with a hard line going through a threaded fitting. That's the fitting I measured to come up with the 5/8" or 16mm size.

So, my current thinking is this: can I use a 16mm to -6 AN adapter on the pump side? There's an o-ring on the factory hard line, is there a specific adapter that might be usable for what I'm trying to do?

My other idea was a banjo fitting with crush washers...I dunno about that one.

This is all sort of assuming that the OEM fitting is actually 16 x 1.5. Not 100% sure about size and pitch quite yet.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea there we go. We had a brass 16x1.5 plug laying around, so I was able to confirm that was the thread size on the pump. I ordered the Earl's stuff already, and there's an Aeroquip place right by me that I plan to use to get the hose and have them install the ends. So far, so good.

Did you leave the OEM "cooler" hooked in? Those are just barbs with hose clamps, which I guess I'll keep as-is.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Yea there we go. We had a brass 16x1.5 plug laying around, so I was able to confirm that was the thread size on the pump. I ordered the Earl's stuff already, and there's an Aeroquip place right by me that I plan to use to get the hose and have them install the ends. So far, so good.

Did you leave the OEM "cooler" hooked in? Those are just barbs with hose clamps, which I guess I'll keep as-is.
I used a -6am power steering cooler. I believe it is made by flex-a-lite. Kept it teflon core steel braided -6an line all the way. Hardest part will be converting from -6an line to the barb on the back of the pump. In fact that is the only hose clamp on a fluid line on my entire car

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about picked up a small Derale cooler to replace the stock pipe, but I think maybe I'll wait and see how this holds up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
are the threads at the racks and pumps all the same from 79-04?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the racks, I think yes, since the MM -6 AN kit is sold for that year range. They don't specify on their website, but I think the threads on the rack are 10x1.5 and 12x1.5.

As to the pump, somebody smarter than me will have to chime in...

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
hoping someone will chime in on the modular pump threads

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
what about the modular pumps?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
thanks jack

what's the thread? isn't it the same as the rack?

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
The early Fox pumps are 5/8"-18. The later pumps are M16 x 1.5.

Both these outlets have a special design that is not commercially available off the shelf. Many people describe it as an o-ring fitting, but that is incorrect. It uses an o-ring, but the geometry is different.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IIRC, it's almost like a Dowty seal that sits underneath the banjo bolt on the pressure/outlet side. As opposed to being under the head.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
while on the subject do you guys know of anyone that makes a steering cooler with 6AN fittings or am I stuck with either the barb hoses ends or NPT?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
that's perfect... thanks willyt

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
does the fox pumps use a vented or non-vented cap?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
non-vented. I think. My cap is a solid one piece. Course, I say that, I'm not even sure if this thing will plug into the SN pump. derp.

What would it vent to? I mean, I don't know what the pressure is in a steering system, but it's got to be more than the 15psi or so of the cooling system?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts