Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Redoing the steering system in my '88. Adding an '03/04 cobra rack, all new lines, pump, and adding a cooler. Was thinking I should add a filter to the return line as well.

Problem is, there are many filters but with poor ratings. I've seen some claim they fall apart.

I'd rather not add a failure point, so wonder if I should forgo the filter, or if anyone can recommend a reliable one to install?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
You are way over thinking this.

Change your fluid at reasonable intervals and enjoy...

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Point made. No filter.

Did pick up an SN95 cooler to replace the fox "tube".

Time to start installing. Can't wait to see what a difference the terminator rack makes

·
Registered
267 Posts
Point made. No filter.

Did pick up an SN95 cooler to replace the fox "tube".

Time to start installing. Can't wait to see what a difference the terminator rack makes
My mach1 has a factory tube cooler and I track the heck out of the car in 100+ degree heat and have NEVER had one problem.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. I thought Ford did away with the tube in 1996 when they added hydroboost?

Regardless, a cooler certainly won't hurt.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
A PS cooler is a must on a fox. I blew my PS pump the first track day i did. My car did not have any sort of stock cooler. Now im running a universal trans cooler, and the worry of blowing my PS pump is long gone. Also used transmission fluid instead of PS fluid (who knew) i used to use PS fluid for years till a friend mentioned we are suppose to run trans fluid.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figure it certainly won't hurt to ditch the tube and add a true cooler.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't overlook material composition. The tube is steel(at least on the fox) , while the cooler is aluminum which has a far greater thermal coefficient of heat transfer....almost 7X. Not to mention the fins add significant surface area to dissipate the heat from.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Can't overlook material composition. The tube is steel(at least on the fox) , while the cooler is aluminum which has a far greater thermal coefficient of heat transfer....almost 7X. Not to mention the fins add significant surface area to dissipate the heat from.
Totally agree, but that cooler might still be to small (depending on how hard/crazy you want to go on the track) i had one exactly like that and since have switched to an even larger universale one.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Totally agree, but that cooler might still be to small (depending on how hard/crazy you want to go on the track) i had one exactly like that and since have switched to an even larger universale one.

For my needs it's adequate as I'm not currently active in AutoXing. I certainly miss it though.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Put it somewhere that it gets plenty of airflow and it will be fine. Mine is not much bigger than that and it works perfectly. Combined with Redline power steering fluid and I've never had a boil over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts