Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a power steering cooler.? I've had trouble with boiling/spraying fluid and thought I'd start with a cooler. What brand or type of cooler do you use? It's a stock 1985 rack setup. I'm fine with the feel of the steering so I'm not looking to swap out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Anyone running a power steering cooler.? I've had trouble with boiling/spraying fluid and thought I'd start with a cooler. What brand or type of cooler do you use? It's a stock 1985 rack setup. I'm fine with the feel of the steering so I'm not looking to swap out. Thanks.

A PS pump cooler is a MUST on a fox, Im using a autozone universal trans/oil cooler with rubber hoses connecting to the pump and rack. Super easy and cheap, yes one day Id like to step up to a proper stainless steel braided lines etc etc but for now it works.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I have a Cobra R cooler on my Mustang, but it's nothing special.

I've added PS coolers to other cars using junkyard parts - plenty of options you can find (tranny coolers or PS coolers will work). This is the one on my Subaru, which I pulled off a Lincoln Mark VIII. For a few bucks at the junkyard, I got a cooler that is an OEM Ford part and I think is bigger than the Cobra R cooler (which I paid real money for):

On my CTS-V I have a stacked-plate style cooler, another junkyard find. I don't remember what it came off of, but I believe it was a tranny cooler from a pickup or SUV. I don't really have a great picture of it, but you can see it on the right here:

And on the bottom right here (before I had added the 90deg fittings and hooked up the hoses):

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
For my 86, I think I bought a Hayden PS cooler. Came with rubber hoses, clamps and plastic push mounts. I cut the stock metal cooler tube where it passes through the rad support and connected the rubber hoses to the end. This to avoid chaffing the rubber at the support. Also was able to reuse the metal tube fastener. But this was not a full cure for the P/S heating. I also ran an sn95 pump pulley and Red Line fluid. The combo fixed my overheating/spewing fluid problems but I intend to move to a GM pump with remote reservoir when I do the Cobra rack upgrade.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I installed a new rack, pump and cooler last year. It has been doing well with no burnt or boiling fluid. Derale 13223 comes with 6AN fittings.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots to choose from! Are rubber hose and worm clamps good enough to hold the pressure in powers steering lines or should it be plumbed with aeroquip style fittings? What fluid are you guys running? Have any of you extended the cap/filler neck on the pump? I remember seeing pics of an OEM pump where the filler neck is double the height of the standard one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The cooler should be routed on the low pressure return line. Rubber hose and worm clamps will be fine. I am using Aeroquip socketless AN / push lock style hose and fittings for ease of maintenance. Easy to assemble and disconnect for flushing.

I am using Motorcraft Mercon V ATF for fluid with a rebuilt OEM pump, standard height reservoir.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Lots to choose from! Are rubber hose and worm clamps good enough to hold the pressure in powers steering lines or should it be plumbed with aeroquip style fittings? What fluid are you guys running? Have any of you extended the cap/filler neck on the pump? I remember seeing pics of an OEM pump where the filler neck is double the height of the standard one.
I actually found out were are suppose to use ATF in the PS pump and not PS fluid, who would have known? Dont remember exact kind but it was a better higher boiling temp ATF.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
I had a Cobra R cooler, but to be honest it seemed rather small. Since it had real value, i sold it on Ebay and bought a Hayden unit for maybe 1/4 of what i sold the R unit for.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had a Cobra R cooler, but to be honest it seemed rather small. Since it had real value, i sold it on Ebay and bought a Hayden unit for maybe 1/4 of what i sold the R unit for.
I was going to say these coolers are way to small for serious track use.,

·
Registered
251 Posts
my fox and sn95 both just have the largest off the shelf transmission coolers that advance auto had in stock. Routed inline with the low pressure line. Just buy more hose and run it from the pump/rack to cooler.

The proper fluid is type "f" ATF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts