Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I sent my stock steering shaft(power) off to be powdercoated, he did powdercoat it but my question is, will the little u-joint in it be damaged or weakend from the baking process of the powdercoating? they heat it up to 350 degree's. I dont want to put it back in my car if wont be safe, if the u joint will fail because it was exposed to so much heat I will order a new one.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about the steering shaft with the rag joint? And you had the whole assembly powdercoated?
Yes. but I am concered about the little u-joint in it

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well got the shaft back from the powdercoater, the u joint IS cracked. Looks like its time for a Maximum Motosports one!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I doubt 350 degrees would do that. I am sure it sees those temps all the time under the hood right next to the headers. Either way good thing you found it now.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Why not whack the cracked u-joint, and the rag joint, too, and use some real u-joints? You can get Borgesons from just about any parts vendor.
That's why I asked if you had actually sent the factory shaft out to powdercoat...if you hadn't I would have suggested either modifying the stock shaft or just picking up an MM replacement. While some people don't feel it makes that much difference, one of the first things I did with my Fox cars was get rid of the oem steering shaft design.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I was wondering if anyone sold the u joints for these shafts, so I could replace it. And I am going to just buy a MM one and call it good. I am not sure if it was the oven at the powdercoater that cracked it but either way ITS CRACKED.

And I powdercoated it instead of rattle can because powdercoat it badass!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
just buy the MM one, u will love it!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan on it thanks! if anyone wants to buy this one and swap u joints in it you can buy it from me. It looks great lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts