Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a HiPo K coupe back in the late 60's, early 70's, bought it off a used car lot on Ohio River Blvd. Randa's- still there today. Gotta say of all the cars I've owned over the years- I'm 72- I'll still take that 271 horse over any other as the sweetest sounding, free-est revving, and most responsive engine I've ever had. Bone stock with toploader and 4.10 9 inch rear. Of course I was forever setting the dual points, lashing the valves (running), adjusting the carb. I've certainly owned faster 1/4 mi cars, but 0-60 (without axle hop) was where it was at with this car. Sold it to my brother, he ran it hard for another 3 years or so. Unbreakable engine/drivetrain. Terrible brakes though. Through the twisty roads it wasn't long before there were no brakes.

This guy is living the life - in CA .... like it used to be. Crank up the volume, you'll love the road test. Guy isn't hanging around. Not a real K motor, but close enough.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,154 Posts
Thanks for posting that.... brings back some vivid memories...

waaaay back around 1987 I was out in TX visiting my mother. On the side of one of the main highways out there was a body shop. Sitting at the road in front of that body shop was a 1965 Shelby GT350... we pulled over so I could get a better look... It was a genuine, real deal from the roof to the floor pans, GT350 and was actually for sale.

The body shop owner came out and asked if I wanted a ride... hell yea! He took it up the highway and easily topped 100mph in seconds... the sound of that GT350 is just something I’ll never forget... After we got back from the drive, he asked if I wanted to see another. I was like, whoa, (2) in the same location! Inside the shop, tucked away in a corner was another Shelby GT350, totally restored and looked brand new. I took pics of both GT350’s with what we call a real camera back then... still have them stored away too.

We were there for a good hour or so...

...and the asking price of the GT350 at the road? $16,000.00/OBO... no kidding at all. We were told it was a distress sale; that GT350 was also not restored... it was raw, it was used, it had only normal wear and it was ORIGINAL. It had no rust anywhere or any body damage, no floor pan damages, no front/rear frame rail or inner fender crinkles... The car just needed TLC; original paint was cracking, the stripes were faded and cracking, the front seat upholstery was cracked, the interior just needed an overall good cleanup and the original Torq Thrust D’s were very oxidized, flat looking.

$16k for a GT350 in good shape back then... and look at what the same is going for today... can’t even touch one for THAT money today...

UGH....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't you just wish we could borrow a time machine for a day, or even a few hours. Here's the only photo I have of that car- at a North Park (Pittsburgh) autocross .... trying to keep up with the car that always took home that Fastest Time of the Day. NOT! Somewhere around 1970 give or take a year I would think. Scan and post up that Texas GT350!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts