Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and can't find anything. Would there be an appreciable difference between the poly and delrin bushings in MM A arms on a autox/hpde car running street tires?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Get the delrin.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
How much less flex are we talking? The reason I ask is because the delrin stuff from MM is quite a bit more expensive than the poly.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
According to whose specific experience?
I switched to the GW delrin bushings on my stock arms and there is some more NVH than the stock bushings. Lots of factors here, but I can say that its not a harsh as you might thing and I would probably do it again.....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
My car went from stock k-member and control arms with MM Bilstein coilovers to full MM k-member, forward offset control arms and Delrin busing. No increase in NVH. The increased accuracy of the car is a welcome side effect though. lol

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Delrin all the way. I know the Global West version works great with no real noise issues. I made my own at first with teflon bushings on aluminum pins and they squeaked like a mofo. Switched to GW delrin and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Delrin all the way. I know the Global West version works great with no real noise issues. I made my own at first with teflon bushings on aluminum pins and they squeaked like a mofo. Switched to GW delrin and never looked back.
I should clarify my earlier point a bit as this is a great point. My GW delrin setup doesnt squeak or make any noise like for example heim joints as they are zerk greasable, but it does transmit a bit more harshness to the chassis. Washboard crappy concrete for example will obviously be transmitted more clearly though to the steering wheel and seat. Not that big of a deal, but it is a small factor. It is a decent tradeoff for a better suspention if you can live with this.

Also, I didnt notice the difference with the rear GW lowers as much as the front A-Arm bushings in terms of this NVH. I also have solid rack bushing and a steering shaft without the rag joint which might account for more observed NVH than a stock setup.

In terms of NVH our cars came out of factory environment where (for example) a extra 25lb weight was worthy of installation for a small reduction in NVH, not to mention rubber on every hard mounted steering and suspention component.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
So is the delrin really worth the cost? Would any one be able to tell the difference in a blind test drive back to back?
I can only comment on the difference from rubber to solid since I never tried the urethane type. When I did mine I had not done the other mods that DID create additional NVH. The only change I noticed was an increase in steering response. I did not notice much if any additional noise. I purchased my GW bushings for not much difference than Steeda urethane but made no other comparisons in price.

After installing CC plates, firmer rack bushings, and rod end sway bar links the NVH picked up considerably and I can say those changes made the car not as nice to drive on the street but all paid dividends in handling.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I can only comment on the difference from rubber to solid since I never tried the urethane type. When I did mine I had not done the other mods that DID create additional NVH. The only change I noticed was an increase in steering response. I did not notice much if any additional noise. I purchased my GW bushings for not much difference than Steeda urethane but made no other comparisons in price.

After installing CC plates, firmer rack bushings, and rod end sway bar links the NVH picked up considerably and I can say those changes made the car not as nice to drive on the street but all paid dividends in handling.
I meant to specify any differences in performance for the delrin. (edited my post above to clarify)

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Curious about this too. I have poly in the factory arms of both my stangs. I plan on A-arms in my fox but have wondered which material to go with.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You will never feel the difference in performance. The idea of course is that several small non-noticeable changes will make a noticeable cumulative difference.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You will never feel the difference in performance. The idea of course is that several small non-noticeable changes will make a noticeable cumulative difference.
Sure, but if every small non-noticeable change costs alot of money, is it really worth it? I'm sure we all agree that the delrin is better in theory, but are they better enough to justify the cost of the change? The answer is different for everyone, but knowing what the change in performance is helps everyone make their decsision.

To me, I don't want to spend that kind of money if I can't tell the difference. There are many other things I could spend that money on that will have a noticeable difference on their own.

Would be cool if we could somehow quantify the change beyond the fact that it helps, but you would never know it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
According to whose specific experience?
I will agree with him.

I had the Full Tilt Boogie kit,(which I fully promote and think is a awesome must have upgrade for IRS Mustangs) and when I installed it I decided not to install grease fitting. Very poor decision on my part. It's performance was always great, and I loved the way it improved the IRS, but after about 8 or 9 months of daily street driving it started squeaking like crazy with every single little motion of the suspension. Again it didn't hurt their performance, but the constant squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak from the dry bushings would drive you crazy.

I'm sure if I installed grease fittings with them, and greased them regularly that it wouldn't have been an issue though, but I installed them about 4 years ago when they were just starting to get popular and people weren't acting like the grease fittings were something that should be mandatory.

With that said yes no doubt about it Delrin > Poly

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
That sure doesn't sound like a fault of the material.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts