Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out which way to go here. As i am going to get the car tuned in a couple weeks...the issue of which way to tune the car pops up today. I initially was going to have the car tuned with a chip and call it a day, but was told by a reliable source that PMS is the way to go.

Questions are.....
DO i drop a grand plus tuning expenses and go the PMS route?
OR
Get a chip/mail order tune?

PLEASE....feel free to put more than your opinion up as reposnses.. Want to do this right the first time.
Thanks guys

Car is in Sig... tw 170, rpm2, 67mm Garrett, Stock shortblock, MSD 6AL2, etc etc.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Ive had the PMS. Its limited. If your going to do your own tuning get the ms. It'll allow you to eliminate the maf

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive had the PMS. Its limited. If your going to do your own tuning get the ms. It'll allow you to eliminate the maf
I wish i could tune my own car but dont want to chance hurting anything... Everything except for bolts and misc accessories are all new...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
i like the pms for my stang runs great with pmas meter and #80 injectors. I spent $800 for chip tune mass air meter sct 2800 with kurgan what a joke car ran like a$$.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i like the pms for my stang runs great with pmas meter and #80 injectors. I spent $800 for chip tune mass air meter sct 2800 with kurgan what a joke car ran like a$$.
And that right there is why im deathly afraid of the mail order tune...:crying:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I run a PMS on my car and it's my first turbo setup. It was super easy to use and using a wideband I was able get my tune spot on. It works for me very well and using the startup tune provided by anderson, I was able to get a good idea of what to change and when to do it. I will say that it took several runs to figure out what to change and which way to change it. I will say this, using the interacq software and being able to datalog is the route I would go if I had it to do all over again. It would have saved sometime getting the wot tables sorted out and then the cruise. I don't have any expierience with MS but I've heard people really like it. I've heard it takes some getting used to. But the people who use it all have good things to say about it. I guess it boils down to how much time you want to spend getting your tune lined out.

-Jimmy.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I wish i could tune my own car but dont want to chance hurting anything... Everything except for bolts and misc accessories are all new...

I understand, but as long as you don't run 30psi on 12.0:1 AFR with 25 degree's of timing you'll be ok.

You'd just start slow and work your way up. A wideband is going to be your best friend.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Ok, I have a lot of experience with both in the OP's post.
PMS is a fantastic do-it-yourself piece and an experienced tuner can really work magic with one. HOWEVER, you cannot turn anything 'off' with it. ie, EGR, O2, Thermactor(smog pump), EVAP, etc. Unless ALL these systems are hooked up and functioning, the PMS alone will not keep the CEL from coming on and the car possibly going into limp mode.
The chip is a great way to tune, however Fox body computers have some limitations that the PMS does away with, rev limiter function comes to mind quickly, along with maf tuning and idle tuning made simple.
the BEST solution imho, is to get with someone that will write a base tune file(basically a copy of the factory settings) onto a chip for you, and have the only changes be turning off the O2's, EGR, Thermactor and anything else you want changes in the computer. Then make all other changes with the PMS. The PMS also datalogs, with the purchase of the software for that. I ran one for 8 years and absolutely loved it. The per cylinder timing and fuel tuning are a great tool, along with boost referencing, etc.
Hope that helps answer some of your questions and helps you to make a decision. PM me for any other info including chip and PMS stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts