Registered
23,538 Posts
reading plugs on an efi car is a really useless endeavour

unless its on a WOT to shutdown

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Checked it out on the fuel pressure gauge and as soon as i floor it i can hold it there and fuel pressure is roughly 15lbs. At initial startup i have to cycle the key about 7 times to get roughly 40 lbs and i can get it to go 60lbs if i keep cycling. But yeah as soon as i floor it it will sit there at low idle and not advance any. Stays at 15lbs

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
15psig when it should be 40psig............well

diagnostic direction you have

next step?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also got a p0720 which is a output speed sensor on the transmission. Didnt know manual transmissions had them but apparantly they do. But i dont see that being the cause?

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
yes, and its input

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Says output not input. I jumpered the fuel pressure drive module and started it up. Have 90 pounds of pressure so fuel pump is good. And when i floored it in neutral with it jumpered, it seemed to be real snappy and crisp and didnt have any bogging down. Next to check is the ground circuit to the fpdm and if that checks out good then im going to assume its the fpdm? Might go to a junkyard pull one off and check it out. Can get a new one on partsgeek.com for 60 bucks..if anybody has any other suggestions id like to listen too them. I should also include that each new pump ive put in the gas gauge works for like 10 mins and then it goes empty and low fuel light comes on. I used the in dash secret scan tool that ford has on the instrument cluster and it says a code that means "fuel sender open circuit" not sure what that is and an r51 i think which is a ect sensor and ive checked it out and looks good, not much to do to it or clean but i know those are dealer stored codes before they come off the lot or whatever so i figured if it was bad it was come up as a code. (Knowing not everything comes up) but other than that..any more info i can provide i will. Im not at a complete loss yet but getting there. Will check the ground circuit on fpdm tomorrow and check back. Thanks

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
how does IT know what the rail pressure is??

that is called an INPUT

open circuit means the circuit is NOT complete

power-load-ground that is complete

SCAN tool will show rail pressure, most likely

gonna replace the module without testing, typical

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The p0720 code came up output speed sensor on transmission. Usually on automatics but i guess they can come on manuals. (Havent looked yet) that wouldnt have anything to do with my performance lack right now. I found out that my car was an automatic but got switched over to a 5 speed by previous owners. I noticed because it still has the tv cable by the throttle cable which i think those are a kickdown for an automatic trans AND i seen my dash scanner i clicked on gauges and it showed up O/D off meaning overdrive is off. So thats cool and good info. But i think im on to something with the fuel pressure drive module.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
You had fuel pressure with module, JUST NOT THE CORRECT pressure......module is still the issue??

think

·
Registered
152 Posts
Had a similar issue with my 03 Taurus. Had to follow all through the fuel system until I determined it had to be the fuel pressure sensor. It was providing bad data to the fuel pressure control module causing the pump to be shut off.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
so just replace it....right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Okay indy2000. Im done with you. You're being a smartass and arent helping whatsoever. Youre asking me whats next and if that was the case i wouldnt even be on here.. And FLADE thats a possibility as well, especially if its not showing a code for that. Will check that out and thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
DONE with YOU!!

bubeye, you dumbass

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I see you're from canada so that explains it all..you call me a dumbass because you have no suggestions/ideas or can point me in a direction and im not playing these charades with you so you can go back to suckin on mamas ta ta's or eating daddys ass whatever fills you up quicker ✌👊

·
Registered
937 Posts
If you know indy's typical replies, he doesn't just give the answer, he steers people to test/diagnose and learn.

His last question "so just replace it....right?" was his way of recommending to test it (fuel pressure sensor) before throwing a new one on.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts