Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have a drill, a cut off wheel and a saw zaw, what are my best options to get the mounts off the body of the car. Is it spot welded on like the door beams and can I just drill the welds out or what should I do? Is there a better tool, how much is it? Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
220 Posts
its a pain in the ass but you just need to drill each spot weld out out, then pry them off by hammering a prybar or screw driver in bettween then metal. might have to cut a few stubborn parts off. i think theres 8 spot weld on the sides each and prob 4 or so more underneath the rail.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Unless you need to take them off for some type of clearance problem or motor plate, just leave them on. There not that heavy and it will look like ass if you are not careful taking them off. Yes. they are spot welded on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
it doesnt look too bad as long as its painted back over, i was too lazy to fill in the marks that were left and mine looks fine. just make sure you dont mind having no sway bar before you remove it. i did mine when the motor was out and never drove without it before. it only bothers me when the road leans goofy cuz it yanks the wheel, but mines mainly a street car.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I used a 4 1/2" grinding wheel with a cut off blade on it to cut most of it off. Then, I ground the rest off. I did the same to the rear frame. It takes a while...but you can make it look as though it was never there. James

·
Registered
491 Posts
:mad: I cut mine off last year and it was a real pain!

I broke 2 spot weld drills and ended up cutting it off with a cut off wheel and cleaning up the mess with a grinder.

I'm really not sure if I'd it again if I didn't have clearence issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts