Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 GT 5 speed with 194,000 miles. Instead of selling the car I have decided to keep it around, sentimental value I guess. The car is stone stock and I want to start adding some power parts beginning with simple bolt-ons. I want to add parts that will give me noticable results that I will feel when I press the pedal, but I don't have the money for heads or a blower. What do you recommend? Pullies, cold air induction, computer chip, throttle body, intake manifold, headers, anything? Your advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks Corral!

Brian Steuerwald

[email protected]

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'd start with a nice set of gears and exhaust. 4.10's with an auto and 3.73's or 4.10's with a stick (I like the 4.10's myself). A set of longtubes, off-road H and some dumps or nice catback would really wake up the car also.

Pullies are an easy/cheap mod too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
snow is on the right track

Gears and a short throw shifter are the first mods you should do. You will like these the most other than nitrous or a blower. Gears deliver the most kick in the pants.

Underdrive pullies are next and are proven to add around 8 - 12 hp, after that, a K&N panel replacement filter. Don't get a cold air kit like the bbk one, they do nothing but look pretty.

Longtubes are a pain for a street car to install and remove, I personally would get yourself a set of unequal length shorty headers. The equal lengths give a bit more power but are harder to put in, and harder to change plugs with.

an offroad 2.5" h-pipe should be your next mod

After that a decent set of tires on the rear, h-rated 255/50/16's work really well on pony rims. I ran 1.9 second short times on a basic bolton car with those tires.

These mods should get your car well into the 13's if you're an able driver. No need to power shift. Add some slicks and those will be low 13's... I ran 13.2 with this very combo and some quick shifting.

Exhaust pipes and mufflers don't really do much of anything at this stage of the game... the headers and h-pipe are the important things. If you want to get a wicked unique sounding exhaust system, go with the spintech 2.5" catback with sportsman mufflers

www.spintechmufflers.com

Next you can work on the intake side... get yourself a 76mm C&L or Pro-M mass air meter, and a 65mm throttle body/EGR spacer.

After this you'll want to get a larger 190 or 255lph intank fuel pump... You'll use this for the 150 shot of nitrous you're about to install... There you go, high 11's, and able to stomp those pesky dodge vipers from the light and at the track.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
i agree with snow...i wouldnt do too much to the engine anyways with 190k on it , but i guess anything bolted on can be bolted off ....go with gears man....exhaust on a bone stock car like yours without any other mods wont give you that feel under the pedal your looking for youll lose some of the tourqey feel once you free up the exhaust , but id do exhast anyways just cuz lil 302s sounds so badass.......pullies are good umm an intake is my next move .....but gears are a must that would be my 1st move ;) theres a plethora of 5.0 info out there for the question you just asked but the corral boys will give ya the 411 just the same !

·
Registered
86 Posts
With a 190k you have a very loose and seasoned engine no doubt, and by upping the rear gear, it's gonna run til it grenades. Upping the rear gear you increasing the rpms on a very tired valve train and timing assembly, worn bearings, rings etc. The oiling system is worn and maybe restricted? Head gaskets and seals are worn. Ask yourself ? do you really want to add more stress and pressure to an engine already past it's better days? If you like and have sentiment toward the car and just don't want a yard ornement with it D.O.A. in the driveway. Maybe consider a good rebuild job with a few boltons? It doesn't have to real expensive - Summit and some others makes some reasonable rebuld kits? If it grenades on you you may not have anything to save or use and then it gets real expensive quick or you can have a conversation piece as wild flowers may grow up around or in it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
With a 190k you have a very loose and seasoned engine no doubt, and by upping the rear gear, it's gonna run til it grenades. Upping the rear gear you increasing the rpms on a very tired valve train and timing assembly, worn bearings, rings etc. The oiling system is worn and maybe restricted? Head gaskets and seals are worn. Ask yourself ? do you really want to add more stress and pressure to an engine already past it's better days? If you like and have sentiment toward the car and just don't want a yard ornement with it D.O.A. in the driveway. Maybe consider a good rebuild job with a few boltons? It doesn't have to real expensive - Summit and some others makes some reasonable rebuld kits? If it grenades on you you may not have anything to save or use and then it gets real expensive quick or you can have a conversation piece as wild flowers may grow up around or in it?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Geez. Just because it has 190k on it doesn't mean putting gears in it will make it blow up. If its going to go bad, it will do it either way.

From reading here for the past 3 years, I've heard a lot of guys run well over 200k miles without many problems.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
the way i see it gears can be a pretty much permenant mod....if you decided to go with a different engine or combo later on the gears would stay and you wouldnt be out any more money

·
Registered
306 Posts
Longtubes are a pain for a street car to install and remove, I personally would get yourself a set of unequal length shorty headers. The equal lengths give a bit more power but are harder to put in, and harder to change plugs with.
You have obviously never worked on a modular motor mustang. The 5.0 is a piece of cake to put longtubes on compared to that. I think they're much easier to put on than equal length shorties. And regular shorties are a waste of time and only minimally better than the stock manifolds.

If he's gonna do it, then go for the gusto with a nice set of longtubes. Less than 10 rwhp for about the same cost as 20 rwhp, uh, let me think about this.

Oh and gears being harder on the engine? Wha? Still has the same redline, huh? How can it be harder, I don't understand.

Run the thing until it blows up. Then rebuild. Or rebuild because you want more power, like a stroker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts