Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance for the bad pictures...its all i was able to get.

Can anyone help me identify this K-member and A-arm setup? There are also coilovers (silver in color) but I couldn't see a brand or markings on them.

This is on a 99/01 Cobra. The paint/powder coating looks like the Grigg's finish (gray and textured), but the design of the A-arms look more like Maximum Motorsports :confused: Could this be a cheap knock-off like AJE, D&D, etc??? If anyone has any input please let me know! thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Can anyone help me identify this K-member and A-arm setup?
K member looks like some kind of MM clone. The gussets and tubes are positioned just like an MM unit, but the quality of the welds are definitely not MM.

I'm guessing maybe Granatelli??

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks like one of Granatelli's Platinum series K-member and a-arms.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Honestly it depends on who you talk to. A lot of people wont put a GMS part on their cars let alone a K member due to some rear lower control arm failures a long time ago.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's actually not my car. I was thinking about buying the K and control arms if I could find out the brand. It being a GMS kit, I'm not going to buy it.

The car did havesomee front end damage and the tie rod is bent badly. It looks like the rest of the parts are fine, but it doesn't really matter now that I'm not buying the parts. Thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. That's a good 30* bend there.:eek:
Good eye guys, I saw that too :blam:

Ian,
Stay away from that stuff. Looking at the damage (bent tierod, broken swaybar link) that car has sustained, there's no telling what other hidden gremlins (read bends, cracks, etc.) might be in there.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If that tie rod took a hit that was bad enough to bend it then those welds as sloppy as they are held up pretty darn well. Honestly I would expect to see some additional damage on the A-arm but there seems to be none. I guess thats props to GMS in a way.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
If that tie rod took a hit that was bad enough to bend it then those welds as sloppy as they are held up pretty darn well. Honestly I would expect to see some additional damage on the A-arm but there seems to be none. I guess thats props to GMS in a way.
I agree. ;) I've had a similar situation where I broke a wheel lip off, bent a tie rod, bent the upper shaft of an MM Bilstein damper and taco'd a C/C plate.

The GMS K-member was perfectly fine, not even a torn bushing or messed up balljoint. Replaced the damper, C/C plate and tie rod and it drove straight down the road with camber/caster still correct.

I think there is a thread about all that somewhere on here. ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree. ;) I've had a similar situation where I broke a wheel lip off, bent a tie rod, bent the upper shaft of an MM Bilstein damper and taco'd a C/C plate.

The GMS K-member was perfectly fine, not even a torn bushing or messed up balljoint. Replaced the damper, C/C plate and tie rod and it drove straight down the road with camber/caster still correct.

I think there is a thread about all that somewhere on here. ;)
I have actually gone through your entire thread at least 3 times. I agree that the GMS K-member seems to be strong.

However I cant seem to get past the fact that it seems like GMS copied MM. The bracing, the main loop, the angle of the LCA tabs all seem exactly like MM. Granted it is more then possible for two companys to come up with the exact same geometry but for them to both come up with the same bracing and location of gussets is a little far fetched. I also dont like the thin inner LCA mount tabs. I have also read the quotes from Jack H saying that the GMS K is a VERY good copy of MM's K.

I also would like to see GMS provide a little more info on their durability testing and design process but they are either un-willing to or do not know because they may have not designed it.

When the time comes I'll make my decision but GMS is only being considered due to price point and the fact that there seems to be a handfull of auto x and open track guys doing well with them. The platinum series does seem to have nicer welds then the regular K too. However I know that price point is rarely a good basis for suspenion product choice.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have actually gone through your entire thread at least 3 times. I agree that the GMS K-member seems to be strong.

However I cant seem to get past the fact that it seems like GMS copied MM. The bracing, the main loop, the angle of the LCA tabs all seem exactly like MM. Granted it is more then possible for two companys to come up with the exact same geometry but for them to both come up with the same bracing and location of gussets is a little far fetched. I also dont like the thin inner LCA mount tabs. I have also read the quotes from Jack H saying that the GMS K is a VERY good copy of MM's K.

I also would like to see GMS provide a little more info on their durability testing and design process but they are either un-willing to or do not know because they may have not designed it.

When the time comes I'll make my decision but GMS is only being considered due to price point and the fact that there seems to be a handfull of auto x and open track guys doing well with them. The platinum series does seem to have nicer welds then the regular K too. However I know that price point is rarely a good basis for suspenion product choice.
Lol oh my

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts