Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did Pinks All Out this weekend in Bakersfield.It was super hot and humid but I had a pretty good time.The car was running great-just running on motor to run in a group that would stand a better chance of being picked.The car ran a 10.45 on Sat. then a 10.44 and 10.46 @130mph for qualifying passes with not that great 1.49-1.50 60fts.The 10.0-10.50 class was huge so I thought we had a good chance of getting in because they like consistency.Just before they announced the car #'s they said this is a Pinks first-every car picked was '69 or older:( and were mid 10 second cars.They said they did this to celebrate Bakersfields history of drag racing :confused:.So that eliminated 80% of the Fords.I would have been in except for having a '91.

It was cool to see the staging lanes and the stands packed,but I left with the feeling that the latemodel crowd just subsidized the show.I can't believe that the '69 and older idea was just a spontaneous thing.Again it's great to see the people showing up for these events and I hope they come back-with a latemodel only show!Tim

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Sounds fun..You might wanna change the word COULD to GOOD. LOL I do it to all the time! Umm a 91 aint a late model, its almost a classic.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hell then my 84 could have been in, is considered a classic now! lol

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah,it's bad enough most of the car shows around here are '74 and older,but now drag racing!!!The nostalgia stuff is out of control :shakehead

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think that is bad taste to do that. Most people that go are trying to make it in. If they were going to do that, they needed to say that BEFORE people bought their tickets. Just another stupid thing that pinks has done and why I didn't go to the Michigan race.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I think that is bad taste to do that. Most people that go are trying to make it in. If they were going to do that, they needed to say that BEFORE people bought their tickets. Just another stupid thing that pinks has done and why I didn't go to the Michigan race.
Pinks has been pulling a lot of crap like that lately. There is no way that they didn't have it planned ahead of time. Just like what they did at Dallas back in Mar/April.

A crap load of 10.00-10.50 cars (over 100!). First during drivers meeting they announced they were going to do a 32 car field which made a lot of drivers happy, ie better chance at making the show and winning. Then when they announced their results, they said, OK, "We have a 32 car 9 second field, we have 2 32 car 10 second fields, however, we have been listening to the emails and calls we get from you racers wanting to see more of the grass roots budget racers get a chance to run, so we picked a 16 car low 11 second field."

That was total BS. I even had a buddy that made the field and lost 2nd round, but we brought 9 cars from Houston, 7 of which were in the 10.00-10.50 class range. They knew ahead of time what they planned to do and flat out lied to the drivers.

Is it enough to keep me from trying to make the show? No because you still never know unless you are a part of the show what they are going to pick. $10k is a lot of money LOL.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
you guys all get suckered in to be a part of the croud..

they plann much of what they end up picking by whatever actually shows up and obviously can make the best entertainment for television...

the rest of all that show up are there just as a fill in type of deal to pump up the stands...

ten thousand dollars is quite a bit for mostanyone.....but it is a drop in the bucket whrn you add up all the people that payed to get in and for all the extras....

the prize should be 20 thousand if not more with payback / postings going to all that are in the final 8 or so....

with all expenses paid, and with as large a front gate paid admission as there was,
someone easily cleared another 100 to 150 thousand.

dont forget that it is just Television / entertainment.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I was there Friday and saw your car run...nice runs for being N/A. It was funny that both the fast fox body coupes that were running were Chevy powered :) the blue one that hit the left wall twice and the orange coupe both had BBC nitrous combos. Hope to see you at the PSCA events.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Did Pinks All Out this weekend in Bakersfield.It was super hot and humid but I had a pretty good time.The car was running great-just running on motor to run in a group that would stand a better chance of being picked.The car ran a 10.45 on Sat. then a 10.44 and 10.46 @130mph for qualifying passes with not that great 1.49-1.50 60fts.The 10.0-10.50 class was huge so I thought we had a good chance of getting in because they like consistency.Just before they announced the car #'s they said this is a Pinks first-every car picked was '69 or older:( and were mid 10 second cars.They said they did this to celebrate Bakersfields history of drag racing :confused:.So that eliminated 80% of the Fords.I would have been in except for having a '91.

It was cool to see the staging lanes and the stands packed,but I left with the feeling that the latemodel crowd just subsidized the show.I can't believe that the '69 and older idea was just a spontaneous thing.Again it's great to see the people showing up for these events and I hope they come back-with a latemodel only show!Tim

I was there all weekend in my black LS1 notchback...I think its complete BS that they made it a THREE tenths wide field of 1969 and older cars instead of picking a really close group of cars..they screwed alot of people that spent alot of time and $ and would have made for a one tenth closer field.

I'll never attend a Pinks race again...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I was there Friday and saw your car run...nice runs for being N/A. It was funny that both the fast fox body coupes that were running were Chevy powered :) the blue one that hit the left wall twice and the orange coupe both had BBC nitrous combos. Hope to see you at the PSCA events.
Lol...yea mine was LS1 powered at the race also, running 10's n/a trying to make the field so we didnt spray it into the 9's...

All the fast stangs were chevy powered...hmmmm go figure hehe..

I dont have any my faster runs up, but here was my first pass leaving off idle to make sure the car would go straight and make a clean pass...

t was 11.02 @ 124 n/a...every pass after that was in the 10's

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=63118312

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car looks good.I was pitted near that crazy Camaro you ran against-wow.A friend of mine had that little 240sx with the Ls motor in it running 11's that you might have seen pitted along the road.
With spray I think I would have those "fast" Fox's covered, but like you said we were trying to make the field-we just didn't know it wasn't going to happen :mad:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to this guy(blue hatch) after his crash-he crashed a second time?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The car looks good.I was pitted near that crazy Camaro you ran against-wow.A friend of mine had that little 240sx with the Ls motor in it running 11's that you might have seen pitted along the road.
With spray I think I would have those "fast" Fox's covered, but like you said we were trying to make the field-we just didn't know it wasn't going to happen :mad:
Yea I saw Cunningham CMS shop there with that car...We did wanna get lined up with it since my shop is an LS1 performance shop as well... :)

I didnt see the 240sx with the heads/cam ls motor get in the 11's, but good for him that he did..i saw a few of his low 12 sec runs @ 121 or so

·
Registered
939 Posts
The blue coupe was setup for dragradials and had never been on slicks until this event. With the bias ply tire the car did not react well and hit the wall the first time and almost hit the same wall the second time.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The blue coupe was setup for dragradials and had never been on slicks until this event. With the bias ply tire the car did not react well and hit the wall the first time and almost hit the same wall the second time.
The track was decent.My 60fts. were a little off due to the heat,but the car tracked good.At least the damage looked fairly minor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts