Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Pinion snubber limits upward rotation of the pinion under acceleration. By stopping the rotation of the axle it transfers the weight of the car to the rear tires.

Torque arm does the same through a different mechanism.

Keep in mind this is a gross over simplification.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that makes sense.

I was thinking it was more like a bump stop... but is more of an axle wrap stop I take it. The TA having a ton more leverage negates the need for this.

So, with it gone, what physically stops the axle at full compression with a Torque Arm? Coil bind? I can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The two body mounted rubber bump stops. As stated above the pinion snubber was to limit rotational forces, the bump stops limit upward travel of the rear axle in a vertical plane.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
The pinion snubber is only there to control the axle housing rotation due to excessive compliance in the control arm bushings. With the TA bolted to the axle housing, it must follow a path dictated by the geometry of the TA.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I understand. Seems like a silly question now.

Hard to believe the axle wraps up that much. :surprise:

MM TA/PHB is due to be installed soon (whenever spring finally shows up) and I was just looking over the parts list making sure I did not forget any of the smaller bits to get it swapped over. I am basically starting from "Level 0" (which includes 5 lug swapping it too) and am having to slay this dragon in chunks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Welp.. sucks for me. I don't have those anymore.

How does this work in regards to an SN? I know they don't have those bumpstops and only the pinion snubber.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
It's exactly the same on an SN95 chassis. The only difference is that the bumpstops are hidden on the shock shafts under the dust boot instead of on the frame rails.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I thought the MM T/A instructions said to remove the two frame bump-stops for more lowering clearance. I did that and have no frame interference. But I am running sn95 Bils on the 86.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts