Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stole a low mile rebuilt 8.8 this weekend, 3.73's and a fresh lsd clutch job for $100
The entire thing came with southside lowers and double adjustable heim uppers. All solid bushings, and bbk drop springs. Correct drop brackets for the lowers.

I have 0 experience with anything other then a stock rear setup.
From reading, the southsides hook well, but the cons outweigh the pros (tearing up torque boxes, rear shimmying on throttle release) for a 95/5 street/track car.

I plan on swapping the fresh guts into my un-molested axle housing.
recommend me something that will help me hook, and will keep stockish street manners. Preferably in the range of what i can resell the southsides, and uppers for:grin2:

Or, are the southsides worth the investment of upgrading the car to handle them, and just living with the known problems?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can't comment too much as I don't have any knowledge outside of my own car but I run southsides on my street/strip car and it does just fine on the street. Who ever built my car knew what they were doing and did it right as I don't have the issues most complain about. The torque boxes are well reinforced so there's no worries about those. I've never noticed any noise from the rear so to speak and there are zero issues with the rear getting goofy on/off the throttle. It's very predictable and always goes straight. They may be old school but they simply work. Are there newer/better options? Yes but given you take care of the torque boxes like you should anyway I'd recommend running them if you already have them. If you don't like them you can always sell them.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Southsides were great for their time. But they will tear some stuff up!

Any of the manufactures are making stuff that will work for what you're looking to do, so it's a matter of picking you that you feel has the best support.

Also, "street manners" are completely subjective. So ride harshness is in the seat of YOUR pants, so again, you're the one who needs to decide which type of bushings and whatnot to use..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts