Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
102k miles, starter, alternator, wiring harness, computer, pretty much everything but the a/c and p/s accessories...$1070 to be delivered Monday sometime.

The short block is being traded to a friend as a stronger foundation for his 98 SS h/c/i car and he is giving me his stock bottom end, rebuilt. He plans on shooting it with a 3-350 shot. I don't plan on any spray or forced induction, so I should be fine.

I'm reading now (little late, I know) that the 6 liter heads won't go on an LS1 block due to the large valves of the heads and small bore of the block. I've also read they will go. Any input on this?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vin# has a U listed (6.0 LS2) but I'll actually see the engine Monday. They have to pull the motor I'm getting out of the truck.

One thing I didn't care for was the DBW setup. He said it was actually better, but I don't know...more electronic crap to fool with. I may end up selling my 93GT (stock motor, c4, 5 lug conversion) and finding a roller or 4 cylinder LX.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
317 is the code.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
317's will be fine on a ls1. They're basically 243 (LS6/LS2) castings with larger chambers. If it were me I'd sells those 317's, pick up a pair of 243's, and mill them a little bit depending on the cam you are going to run. The 243's are super cheap and they will be plenty for a stock displacement ls1 living under 7K rpm's. Spend a little bit more and get the LS6 version of the 243's that came on 02 and up Z06's or the CTS-V cars. They have a hollow intake and sodium filled exhaust valves that are quite a bit lighter than the regular 243 SS valves.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up getting a set of 4.8s for compression. Gave a bill for them, should be 11:1 now. And my AJE k-member came in yesterday...amazing how light it is!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
nice .. keep us posted on this build

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
862s, I think. I'll stop by the storage on the way home from the dr and look. I'll be pulling that 6.0 apart tonite, putting the 317s and intake on eBay.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, 862s.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you are going to ever have them ported keep the 317's. I have a set getting race ported and they will flow more then the AFR's...... He told me that when porting them out other LS based head's (LS1/LS6/LS2) just need a little less work on the exhaust side.

They are also a really nice sleeper head.

I am near postive the 862 head is the 4.8 head (look's like you mentioned that above) and I was told by many to ditch them and keep the 317's. My 317's will be fore higher compression with the right combo (above 11.1). If I remember right the 317's also have more room to port over the 862's.

If you never plan to port them then have at it :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 4.8/5/3 head are the same from what I've read. About the 317s, I've heard elsewhere that the bore is an issue (3.89 for the LS1 and 4.00 for the LS2) and I've already considered the overall flow bit. It's a build, I have time to decide.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The 4.8/5/3 head are the same from what I've read. About the 317s, I've heard elsewhere that the bore is an issue (3.89 for the LS1 and 4.00 for the LS2) and I've already considered the overall flow bit. It's a build, I have time to decide.
My 317's were going to go on a 408......... was told it would all be fine from my porter (A rather well known Pro Stock builider/porter/Guru) and was going to be making around 800hp N/A.

Most of the head's are all about the same, just some have more material here and there or are different CC and some have slightly different exhaust port design (just need's a little more porting). In the end when either are fully ported there is not much of a difference.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 317's were going to go on a 408......... was told it would all be fine from my porter (A rather well known Pro Stock builider/porter/Guru) and was going to be making around 800hp N/A.
Again, the bore size. We'll see!

Any other input on this?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Again, the bore size. We'll see!

Any other input on this?
Then what do you mean when you talk about the bore being an issue?

You can run about any LS1/2 head on any LS1/2 block no issues.

People run 317 head's on everyuthing from standard 347's to 418ish motor's.... and the same for the other head's.

I have had many really well known LS builder's tell me that you can use any head and any bore you want, you just build the combo around them or do some mod's to the head's to correct it. The amount of bad information floating around in the LS world is down right funny.

The whole "this head will not work" issue that people bring up because of bore size is very exagerated. It's the aftermarket head's and flow number's that you want to watch the flow number's. They can still be used but the flow number's will be less when put on a smaller bore and some need a larger bore due to the larger combustion chamber's.

But what do I know.........

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Assuming I stick with the 317s and mill them for compression around 10.8-11:1, whats the biggest cam I can go with and not run into PTV issues? The short block is completely stock out of a 98 Z28.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
look like the hot ticket is the 6.0 motor and the L92 heads,

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Long past due...finally making progress.

Picked up a full exhaust system earlier this week, 1 3/4 primary long tubes, 3 inch x-pipe, Dynomax mufflers with turndowns...later in the week the guy asks if I had any 317s and their manifolds...still had them from the 6.0. I couldn't give them away and someone wanted them both! I gave him that and $350 and got a set of hand ported 243s and a 750 Gary Williams carb. Same parts in his 89 put him into the 9s at 148.

Slowly but surely...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts