Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to try an auto out in the turbo car and looking for the best option or experience from people who have tried out multiple things. Yes I'm swallowing a pill here because I said I never would convert to an auto but I'm very displeased with the TKO to say the least.

Looking for something that'll stand up to 500-600rwhp or so but really looking for something that'll have the option of being able to be upgraded to handle more IF the situation arises.

I noticed that Baumann is doing a group buy on the transmission controller for the 4R70W and the GM electric OD trannies. I REALLY want something that'll be strong enough for a few hits at the track a month and has an overdrive gear because I drive the car daily. The track I race at is 60-70 miles one way and I drive the car there, so I'm looking for something with an OD gear fo sho.

Say I go with a 4R70W out of a 3.8 mustang, what will I need to install it in the fox?

I guess I'll do a decent tranny cooler, stall and are people still doing the J-mod to those trannies? Should I buy that Baumann controller or go to a manual valve body? Need a new crossmember or any shortening of the DS? Car currently has a TKO 600 setup in it.

Car is basic turbo car, decent suspension and will be running on DR's.:salute: Looking to start the switch asap.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What rear gear you runnin? Your not likley going to need over drive if your running a 3.27. If you truly must have OD then id look at an AOD as a controller box is not needed and you can flip OD on and off. Honestly though Id go TH400. They can be made to handle huge power, with factory parts, they are very reliable when put together properly, best bang for the buck! other wise AOD is my vote.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a lentech strip terminator aod sitting in the basement I was going to run an auto, but I might sell it or trade for a mint tko 600 set up. my friend had a 352 with a ys trim and 200 shot on it 7xxrwhp on the dyno. od on a switch.

If I was to build a 4r70w I would talk to silverfox on here or over at click click racing, dan will help you build a strong 4r trans,
http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/Home.html

·
Registered
691 Posts
x2 for FB and Silver Fox. Both are excellent AOD builders!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much RPM am I looking at with a 60mph speed, 3.27 gear ratio and a 26" tall tire?

My work is only 2-3 miles away everyday so I'm not "too" worried about it but like I said driving to the track is 60-70 miles one way. Even though I only make it to the track 1-2 times a month at best with my work schedule.

How hard is the TH400 swap to do in a fox? -Edit- I mean, are there any special things that need to be changed to do the swap?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ya there are a few things that have to be done. Your either going to need an adapter plate or a JW conversion bell. If you have even some minor fab skills you will have no problem addressing the cross member, other wise an AJE cross member is needed. For my glide I used the factory xmember and lengthened the holes for the tranny mount. I also cut an AOD solid mount and added an inch to it in over all height. If you go with the AJE x you don't need to do any of that and you don't need a trans mount either. A little massaging to the tunnel near the shifter with a BFH and your good. You can use a aod flywheel or a jw the wheel. The aod will require a custom convertor ( this is what I did) the jw uses standard th400 convertors. Drive shaft will need to be replaced. Seems like a lot but if starting from scratch it's a good choice. If your already set up for an AOD/E then it may be a better bet cost wise.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Geez! Only $2500!

I'm guessing here but can't you build a 4R70W for under half of that???
I would guess $1000-$1200 depending on V.B. and other parts used +trans+your time (whats your time worth and skill level) Thats a fair price for a strong tran's with good gear ratio's. tko 600 and astro a5 are priced similar.

it can be done cheaper (junkyard 98-02 v6 mustang with a few hundred in upgrades can hold 500-maybe 600hp) but you may not get the same result's.
if you don't get a manual V.B. for a fox, you will need trans controller (bauman tcs)

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really want to do the junkyard 4R70W but we don't have any good junkyards around here. I might put a ad on here to see if I can find one that someone has laying around. I LOVE the manual but I've got plans for next year or so for something new so I want to try out the turbo/auto combo that everyone raves about.

The DS won't have to be shortened or anything with the 4R70W either right? In everyones opinion, what would be a fair price to pay for a 3.8 liter mustang 4R70W?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I really want to do the junkyard 4R70W but we don't have any good junkyards around here. I might put a ad on here to see if I can find one that someone has laying around. I LOVE the manual but I've got plans for next year or so for something new so I want to try out the turbo/auto combo that everyone raves about.

The DS won't have to be shortened or anything with the 4R70W either right? In everyones opinion, what would be a fair price to pay for a 3.8 liter mustang 4R70W?
Do a search for 4R70W and see what Millhouse did, pretty good write up on this!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You still need a trans cooler. I actually run 2, one with a fan and one without. A manual valve body just means you have to manually shift each gear almost like a stick car.
Indeed, heat is the evil enemy!!

Also, wonder if the 4R70W will fit with my rear crossover for the turbo kit....hmm.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have a question I got a motor and trany out if a 94 t-bird, what are sum of the better parts to get to rebuild it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts