Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the Deal. A buddy of mine takes salvage cars and rebuilds them for resale. He found an 01 GT that was t-boned by an SUV. According to the odometer it only has 12k miles on it. He wanted to make the car his project car but has run into some financial problems. He is willing to sell the motor for about $1500 bucks. Should i buy this motor? Supercharge it and stick it my 97? Is this kind of a swap tough or with a set of 01 heads on 97 engine be the same thing?

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
That's exactly what I'm doing although my new engine is 2000 GT with approx 15k. With the newer engine, you won't have to worry about the compression ratio being so high with the 96-98 block and 99 PI heads to begin with. Also you'll start out with 260 flywheel vice 225'ish.

I think it's a great deal... just look it over real real carefully.

Hope that helps.
Tim

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the engine just plop right in or was it more involved than just swapping the 2 motors. Im really leaning towards this, and for 1500 bucks i think its a smoking deal. When i look at the engine what should i keep an eye out for? Im still new the modular world.

Thanks for replying,
97StangBanger

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Yep it will plop right in, however, you will need to not use the "coil on plug" and re-use your coil packs and it will work fine. Other then that, you should be alright and it will work just fine. :)

Ensure you get the flywheel with the new engine, they aren't compatible or at least that's what I'm hearing.

Also, just re-use your old fuel rails and you won' thave to worry about returnless stuff :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
The EEC is different and the fuel system is very different. It can be done but you will need the computer, harness and some of the fuel system from the newer car. I'm not exactly sure what parts to take. Maybe someone can chime in?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was unaware that the 96-98 used different EEC's vs 99-02. What EEC is used on the 99-02. Also, is the tranny match up here. Will i have any issues with it bolting up?

Thanks,
97StangBanger

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I will be using my current wiring harness and 98 computer..... suggest you do the same. It would be a nightmare converting your car with 99+ wiring harness and electronics.... especially when you can use your current computer/EEC and harness (they are both working good now, correct?)

Everything will bolt right up..............

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, my EEC-V is in good working order. I think im going to buy some long tube headers and bolt them on before i swap the engines. I should get LTs for a 2001 GT right? Also, should i strap on the headers while the engine is out?

97StangBanger

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
97StangBanger said:
Yes, my EEC-V is in good working order. I think im going to buy some long tube headers and bolt them on before i swap the engines. I should get LTs for a 2001 GT right? Also, should i strap on the headers while the engine is out?

97StangBanger
Yes ask for 2001 and yes, put them on the engine while it's out :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys! I really apreciate it. I think im going to go this route. I should have engine this friday and should do the swap sometime in the next month or two... When i do i will post pics of the swap and get a dyno of new motor... supposedly it already has pullies, CAI, steeda timing adjuster. Im currios has to what kinda number this combo will put out. Later i dyno with the blower installed. Any recommendations on what type of SC to go with?

97StangBanger

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
97StangBanger said:
Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys! I really apreciate it. I think im going to go this route. I should have engine this friday and should do the swap sometime in the next month or two... When i do i will post pics of the swap and get a dyno of new motor... supposedly it already has pullies, CAI, steeda timing adjuster. Im currios has to what kinda number this combo will put out. Later i dyno with the blower installed. Any recommendations on what type of SC to go with?

97StangBanger
Vortech or Novi 2k would be my first two choices. :) Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts