Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone through an emissions test with the PI headswap? My main concern is if my car will pass if I get the cams reground. Does anyone think regrinding the cams will effect the emissions enough so it won't pass? How will things look if I just P&P the heads? I really want to do both. Thanks...

·
Registered
470 Posts
P&P the heads will not adversly affect your emissions. Nor will a higher compression ratio that you will get with a swap.

I believe that performance cams will change the emissions though. I have no idea if you will fail. This is new to mod motors and a lot of people that have cams here do not go through tough emissions testing. If I had to guess, I'd think that you may get away with the cams if the car is running well and you still retain the cats.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mrvax - I would hate to go through all the trouble with the cams, and then not pass the sniffer. Anyone else have any ideas if I will pass emissions with reground cams?

·
Registered
22 Posts
While I have no idea how much regrinds will affect emissions, I do have this to offer.

I went for an Smog test yesterday, as my registration's up this month and its the first time I've had to smog since I've had the car. Maximum level of pollutants for passing was 100. The average passing grade for my type car (whatever that is) was 12, my clocked in at a 3. That makes me feel pretty comfortable about the regrinds I have on order with the heads. Maybe I'm just naive about how much cams do, but it couldn't make my car pollute 30 times more could it?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Next March I'll be emissions testing for registration with my car (see sig). I'm going to test it first playing with the timing adjuster (local shop guy is mustang friendly and will let me try to make it pass) maybe try that emissions passing stuff you put in your gas and if that doesn't work, I'm going to have it tuned which I was planning on anyway. Just later. We'll see.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Raising compression generally increases burn efficacy and decreases hydrocarbon emissions. You might actually decrease emissions by doing a headswap!

Reground cams can drastically change emissions, though. Just a few degrees of overlap can push fuel out the tailpipes real quick.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PhatDoggy said:
I'll be tested in September. We'll know then...
Perfect, I planned on starting this project in the September time frame. Gotta get married in July and money is tight right now. Could you please keep me posted on how things turn out? I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I'll post back here in Septemeber. I'll try to keep you informed individually, but I have a hard time remembering 4 hours ago, let alone 4 months.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you want to stay on the safe side, just go with the '99+ stock cams. I think they have a little more lift and duration than the '96-'98 cams.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
SVO42 said:
If you want to stay on the safe side, just go with the '99+ stock cams. I think they have a little more lift and duration than the '96-'98 cams.
That's the default with the PI headswap, since the heads come with the cams in them already. He's looking to get a regrind for more power. And yes, the '99+ cams do have more lift and duration.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup - PhatDoggy had the right idea, MORE POWER! Plus all the regrinds I have heard sounds awesome.

PhatDoggy - I just noticed that you live in west chicago, so it will be a real good test in september since I am sure you will have to pass the same emissions requirements as I will. Would you mind sharing some more info about the setup of your car? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Madi98GT said:
Yup - PhatDoggy had the right idea, MORE POWER! Plus all the regrinds I have heard sounds awesome.

PhatDoggy - I just noticed that you live in west chicago, so it will be a real good test in september since I am sure you will have to pass the same emissions requirements as I will. Would you mind sharing some more info about the setup of your car? Thanks.
I've got a black on black 5 speed '96 GT coupe with minimal mods. The usual K&N was on it when I bought it used in '99, along with some Flowmaster two chamber mufflers. I've got a TriAx, lowered it with FRPP 'B' springs, installed Bilstein shocks, and offset rack bushings (not sure if they helped since my real prob was poor alignment). This year I'm going all out (for me anyway :) ). I put a VRS catted X on with a Dynomax SS UltraFlow catback, and ceramic FRPP shorties are waiting to go in. The infamous SD Wheeler is doing the P&P on the heads that I bought from him along with the headswap kit, regrind cams, and valve springs that I don't necessarily need but make me feel better about high RPM use. That all should be here in the next couple of weeks. I plan on taking a weekend and a few vacation days after it to do the job in my garage. The near future (hopefully) holds a timing adjuster, wheel spacers for the rear, 3.73 gear (BTW, where did you get yours done), and rear control arms.

The very latest mod is my first ding that I put in it myself :mad: while jacking it up to change the fuel filter. A traumatic experience to say the least (made me wanna :barf: ) . I have a friend that does dent removal, so I'm going to have him look at it.

on edit: looks like our cars are pretty close to identical...black w/ black leather, 17" wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts