Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out about Green Valley Ford, in the Bay Area, selling the 2003 Cobra at MSRP from this board. I went to Serramonte Ford and they said they sold all of their first allotment above MSRP anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 above sticker. They said I would have to wait for their second allotment to buy a 2003 Cobra and would have to pay at least sticker plus $2,000. Walnut Creek Ford also sold all of their first allotment and they were all above MSRP. Is anyone actually buying these cars above sticker or are the dealers just blowing smoke?

It seems that all people who buy the 2003 Cobra are true enthusiasts and they would probably read this board.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,594 Posts
Yes, people are paying over MSRP for their 03 snakes. And they are fools. But then as the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Hope they enjoy that extra-steep first year depreciation curve!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in the BA and ordered an 03 at MSRP. Do not pay a dime over! They all tried to screw me... The worst was Towne Ford in Redwood city. They agreed to MSRP over the phone. Drove down to place my deposit and they then said their best possible deal was 5K over MSRP! Don't be a sucker! Make some calls and you'll get one!

·
Registered
448 Posts
The price range I got when I was shopping for mine was $3K-$10K over. FWIW I ordered mine for MSRP.

You didn't say what Green Valley Ford told you.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If they try to mark up the 2003's over MRSP, report them to SVT.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Venomous Mofo
If they try to mark up the 2003's over MRSP, report them to SVT.
Out of curiosity, what will this do exactly? SVT has no control over dealer markup. Ford has never controlled dealer markup. In fact, in most states, it is illegal for a manufacturer to dictate anything regarding final pricing.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
UGOTBIT said:
Well they can't tell them what to sell it for but when it comes to availability they could "all of a sudden" go on backorder for that dealership
What he said!!:D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Isn't anyone getting A-plan or X-plan??

·
Registered
385 Posts
UGOTBIT:

I'll bet that if you study your state's laws (remembering that dealer lobbies are in most states the biggest and richest) you'll see that Ford is pretty much castrated when it comes to those sorts of tactics. Sure they could do it and they'd wind up paying later if they didn't have an actual, bona fide, well documented reason for a backorder that affected a single dealer, or a set of dealers who did mark up.

You guys really should research your state laws with respect to automobile dealers and manufacturers. It is truly an enlightening experience. You will be surprised at how much the dealers have successfully protected themselves. All our complaints about pricing and service are basically rooted in the fact that no manufacturer is allowed, *by law*, to dictate anything, directly or indirectly, or compete at any level. Remember Arizona a couple of years ago? Ford lost that one based, I believe, on those non-compete laws. Why doesn't Ford sell on the internet? You guessed it.

Ever want to run or own a major brand *new* car store? Better start kissing the current local dealers' asses. Ford can OK you but they are not the real decision maker :).

·
Registered
163 Posts
SVT has no control over dealer markup. Ford has never controlled dealer markup. In fact, in most states, it is illegal for a manufacturer to dictate anything regarding final pricing

I dont know if the Law applies to Ford more than VW, but when the Bugs first came out the local VW dealer here tried that crap, well a little different, the dealer weas gonna give it to the highest bidder...VW cut them off for the new Bugs for a year. They cant control price, but the dealer cant control VW supplying them either. More Power to VW for defending their product and name.

·
Registered
385 Posts
UGOTBIT:

Now *that* is something that Ford has control over :). I just don't know what it would gain Ford to do that. One could speculate that they could review a dealer's markup policies/history as part of the certification process. But they haven't done that. Heck, the biggest bunch of thieves in my neck of the woods just got certified last summer.

So, I'll back this grass roots movement: give SVT a call and suggest that SVT certification include just such a review :). Might get somewhere if enough current and future owners put their word in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
'01 Steed said:
Isn't anyone getting A-plan or X-plan??
A dealer has promised [yes, it's nice to know people] one to me on A-plan. However, I've not found out yet what the A-plan price will be. Does anyone know?

Ugh--- can't wait!!

:joy: :cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went to Reynolds Ford last night in Norman Oklahoma. I was inquiring about ordering. I was told 5K over sticker. If people are crazy enough to pay that, then let them. My thinking is that we start a LIST of dealer's that are marking up over MSRP. I do know that I will not be going to Reynolds Ford the next time I need a truck or a car for the wife.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try Newark Ford in Delaware. I bought my 97' Cobra for $100 under their invoice. They are or were the largest SVT seller on the east coast. When I biought my car however, it was Nov. 97, the 98's were out in most places, it was a convertible going into winter, and Monday night football was on, which you wouldn't think would matter, but they have daily sales goals there. The daily sales goals means that no matter what, they will sell such a dollar amount of cars per day. I would wait to Oct.-Dec. of this year to buy a 2003 Cobra. You will have to call around for what you want and a good delearship, but you will not pay over MSRP!

·
Registered
27 Posts
kushiro said:

A dealer has promised [yes, it's nice to know people] one to me on A-plan. However, I've not found out yet what the A-plan price will be. Does anyone know?

Ugh--- can't wait!!

:joy: :cool:
Is this the same as Blue Oval discount. From what my brother told me, employee discounts do not apply to SVT products and dealers have a choice of whether or not to do the discount either way,..... but the dealership could have lied to him.?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts