Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a basic Vortech setup on a fox. The PCV routing is exactly like what is factory from Ford, and the instructions from the SC kit. The PCV routing in the back of the intake is untouched. The hose from the oil fill neck is going to the air filter shield with the glass filter. Isn't this setup just like having a open breather cap? and what you call un-metered air? I guess the line from the oil neck can be run back into the inlet tube on the Vortech inlet, but I don't want the impeller getting oily. What are you guys doing?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have been reading old threads on this for the past few days, you will find 100 different ways and everyone swears by a different one. I guess it comes down to what works for you. I have mine set up how vortech tells you to and I am getting an oil leak from my rear main seal so I too need to find a new method. I think I am gunna try breather on the oil fill cap and breather on the pcv opening and plug the manifold. Seems like the easiest way to go but you will get oil vapor and smell. I'm hoping that's what my problem is and not that I have a valve not seating or bad rings.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes but people set it up 100 different ways, breather here vent there, pump there, pcv with breather and they say they have no problems. I been reading old threads for the past 2 days, there are 3 different theory's yes but the actual way people set it up is a completely different story, if it wasn't t a confusing subject there wouldn't be 4000 threads on it

·
Registered
21,769 Posts
it aint confusing, and most people don't know what they are doing,....

they think the factory pcv is good for a hair dryer 347.........

then they make weird adaptations, then give up

all they needed to do, was size the piping, baffle,etc.....

and whether the intake gets pressurized........\

I'm telling ya there are no 100s of different ways, just cause they add useless things

·
Registered
147 Posts
I searched and went with this. (There is a thread with exact part numbers for the check valve and fittings needed.)
Out of the motor I removed the PCV line, put a piece of hose with a brass check valve from McMaster Carr, then into an oil/water separator.
Then another piece of hose back into the intake.
I used the hose from the Vortech kit with that oil filter and ran it from the oil fill adapter to the intake air filter like their directions say to do.
That fitting on the intake now goes to my boost gauge.
Under boost the checkvalve closes and stops the block from the blowers pressure. Seems to work fine and it does collect and helps stop oil from getting into the intake. I see no oil leaks or any problems pop up from doing it this way. A/F ratios is fine and car dives great.

306, 93 Cobra with stock upper- lower intake, aluminum GT40X heads and Vortech at around 7lbs boost

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
You did well on the PCV side, running the check valve and the oil separator. Unfortunately, Vortech's instructions placing the oil fill tube in the airbox results in un-metered air entering the system. You want that line to be run to a point *after* the MAF. I ran mine to the blower inlet elbow, and used an in-line oil separator as a precaution.

If you end up having issues with blowby and crankcase pressure (and you may), invest in this one-way oil breather from CFM.

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts