Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your setup like? I've searched and found 100 different ways to do it.

My car is a daily driven 306 (non-roller), with P heads, 9.5 compression pistons, Systemax intake, and all the other usual bolt ons. I have a Paxton Novi 1000 going on with an 8-10psi pulley.

I have a lot of crank case pressure as I see if puffing out the breather on the rear side of the systemax intake at idle. I am not running any PCV or EGR stuff. Only the passenger side valve cover has a -6 hose that is just ran down towards the ground.

I plan to run one -8 hose from each valve cover to a sealed tank (no breather), then one -8 hose from the tank to the intake manifold. I will have a 1 way Krank-Vent valve in the line from the catch can to the intake. Being a sealed system, hopefully the vacuum from the manifold will alleviate my issue with it puffing out the manifold. Which makes me stink like burnt oil...

Is this sufficient? What's your set up like?

·
Registered
242 Posts
2 -10 hoses from valve covers to breather catch can no check valve no issues done this way for years on my setup my buddy runs same combo as you but Novi 2000 we run about 20-30 psi

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mine is set up with the pcv deleted and just a 90* barbed fitting in the rubber grommet with a 5/8 fuel line run to the catch can then the other line is another 90* fitting tapped into the oil full cap with another 5/8 hose to the catch can, the catch can is a breathable one obviously

·
Formerly known as 89 steeda
734 Posts
PCV grommet plugged in lower intake, vac cap on oil fill neck fitting.

Remote baffled breather tank mounted to passenger front frame. -10 fittings welded to stock valvecovers and 5/8 hose ran to tank.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it seems like there is no need to have a sealed tank with vacuum pulling from the motor.

Judging from some pretty serious set ups posted above.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
So it seems like there is no need to have a sealed tank with vacuum pulling from the motor.

Judging from some pretty serious set ups posted above.
There is no "need" for it, but it is worth doing. I run a evac system in my set up. Nice thing about it is no oil leaks. With a vacuum in the crankcase, oil cannot leak out. It is a bit more spendy to set up, but worth it IMHO

·
Registered
21,865 Posts
if this is truly daily driven

you going to want to have a PCV system, you need to remove moisture from the CC

other wise using a vent/breather, plan on frequent oil changes, and reduced engine life.

if you are seeing smoke from blowby, not water vapor, you have a base engine isssue.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well... built this today. I can add a hose to the intake manifold at any time. But for now the 3rd an fitting is just actin as a breather.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One -10 line from each valve cover to the catch tank. The 3rd bung on the tank is just a line to the floor for now.

The larger -16 an fitting is actually a separate tank. It will be used for water/alcohol injection once the Novi 1000 is hooked up.

Like I stated above, I left myself the option of adding a 3rd line to the intake for vacuum. I would just have to find a sufficient 1 way valve after the Novi goes in and boost is added... This car is my true daily driver. So, I can't always go the full race car way when it sees 270-300 miles a week.

·
Registered
21,865 Posts
a PCV, flows the least as manifold pressure drops, and flows the most at atmosphere manifold pressures

and fully closes in backfire event

your check valve will not operate like that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a PCV, flows the least as manifold pressure drops, and flows the most at atmosphere manifold pressures

and fully closes in backfire event

your check valve will not operate like that.
Since this set up is all -10 line, know of any PCV valves that will work with my set up?

·
Registered
21,865 Posts
you are going to need search this forum, as this topic has many solutions to many different setups.

some people have success one way others another......

type "pcv" "check valve" "venting", etc.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I ran a hose from the catch tank to the intake manifold today. No start...

I'm guessing it's seeing this as a large vacuum leak and since I'm still on the stock MAF, this is a no-go.

But dosn't a stock PCV Valve let air flow at idle? Why would this set up not work for me?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
be specific

is this a crank no start OR a NO CRANK?????
Crank, start, shuts down after maybe 1 second. I can throttle it to keep it alive, kinda.

It's seeing it as a huge vacuum leak. I thought a sealed system wouldn't have this issue. But I was wrong. I'm moving that line to before the throttle body since I'm still running the MAF for now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No PCV. Just a line from before the TB to the tank right now. When I find a PCV that fits my set up, it will be added.

Unfortunately, the cheap cast aluminum valve covers that came on this car cracked when I tightened them down. Didn't notice until I pulled them off this past weekend and the area surrounding the bolt stayed in the head when lifting them off. This could of also been an issue being the system was definitely not closed with 3 areas like this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts